JollyRoger
  Post#1 | Apr 15 2005, 22:41 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

As a poster with a pirate related nickname I should know that the common lime is all that's needed to prevent scurvy. However vitamin C may have more profound applications.

Vitamin C: Plagueslayer?

"This isn't a docudrama about some futuristic plague - it's a true story about what happened in June 1949 when polio was at its peak. Dr Frederick Klenner, a clinical researcher from Reidsville, North Carolina, reported that a massive intravenous dose of Vitamin C - up to 20,000mg daily for three days (today's recommended daily allowance is 60mg) - had cured 60 of his patients. The findings were published in a medical journal, yet there was virtually no interest. Apart from a couple of minor trials, no attempt was made to find out if they had any scientific substance."

JR's Proverbs: The Pharmacutical industry has been attacking herbals and vitamins savagely for years now. It's no secret that they want exclusive right to your health and well being. The first reason being is that no proprietary patents can be put on natural medicines, remedies and most importantly vitamines. Without that stranglehold on these things the pharamcuticall companies are unable to manipulate prices in the same way as their artificial drugs. No monopoly, no price rape.

It's also no secret that dirty business practices have led to relativly untesetd and often dangerous drugs being put on the market. Ads for them are often vague and invlove a guy in shorts throwing a frisbee or playing with his dog while a laundry list of side effect are quickly run through. These drugs are peddled by well compinsated and ignorant doctors who in turn peddle them to their patients who have no idea that they're being sold harmful medicines. They don't have the psychic ability to forsee that five to ten years later these very drugs will be dropping like flies from the market because patients are doing much the same thing. Remember Phen-Phen.

It should come as no surprise that the natural herbal, vitamin and yes holistic market has been growing quickly in recent years. All over the world bans on natrual medicines are being reversed, and proposed bans on natural medicines are being defeated. Particularly in the US and Europe. People aren't stupid. Slow often times, but overall not so stupid.

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#2 | Apr 15 2005, 22:43 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

Holy shit! 20,000mg intravenous! If 60 were cured, did the others die? tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

JollyRoger
  Post#3 | Apr 15 2005, 23:05 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Mister V @ Apr 15 2005, 13:43 )
Holy shit! 20,000mg intravenous! If 60 were cured, did the others die? tongue.gif

20K really isn't all that much. It's only the equivalent of 20 doses of the minumum calcium equivalent you should get daily. Heavy, yes, in relation to a single regular dose but by no means impressive in terms of volume. Saline doses in comparison are titanic. It's all in how you look at it.

If all the Dr.'s other patients died it probably wasn't due to an overdose of vitamin C. It was probably that they were too far along to help in the first place. Even normal doses of anything can be harmful to a fragile body.

This post has been edited by JollyRoger: Apr 15 2005, 23:06

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#4 | Apr 16 2005, 00:04 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Which is what I'm talking about tongue.gif
Leave it to natural selection? it isn't a universal medicine if it can harm tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

JollyRoger
  Post#5 | Apr 16 2005, 09:44 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Mister V @ Apr 15 2005, 15:04 )
Which is what I'm talking about tongue.gif
Leave it to natural selection? it isn't a universal medicine if it can harm tongue.gif

Well I was trying to suggest that even a glass of water or even a bad episode of Full House could kill someone in a frail enough condition. biggrin.gif

And I would like to point out that natural selection is as dependent on coincidence, calamity, and sheer will as everything else is. It's hardly a infallible system. bleh.gif

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#6 | Apr 16 2005, 10:52 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Oh, it is a stable system, well, it was, until we destabilized it tongue.gif

but those doses can kill. Especially if the person is allergic to some kind of vitamine, which happens, and if you get that, it's like a big bang for your organs crazy.gif

I wonder how the hell did the vitamine disperse in blood? Was it in some speacial dissolvable fluid condition..?

_____
By the way, I can't read the article, only the small start of it. Seems like you have to subscribe and log in?

This post has been edited by Mister V: Apr 16 2005, 10:53

--------------------
IPB Image

JollyRoger
  Post#7 | Apr 16 2005, 12:26 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Mister V @ Apr 16 2005, 01:52 )
Oh, it is a stable system, well, it was, until we destabilized it tongue.gif

but those doses can kill. Especially if the person is allergic to some kind of vitamine, which happens, and if you get that, it's like a big bang for your organs crazy.gif

I wonder how the hell did the vitamine disperse in blood? Was it in some speacial dissolvable fluid condition..?

_____
By the way, I can't read the article, only the small start of it. Seems like you have to subscribe and log in?

I'm fairly sure that knowledge of allergies wasn't then what it is today. Of course such things would be considered now. If Vitamin C isn't right for someone another magadose of another one could do the trick. But thats conjecture on my part. Although Nature has repeatedly shown it takes care of business. Much to the chagrin of the Pharmacutical companies.

As for the dispersal method I'm pretty sure it was dissolved into a solution before it was administered. I don't think it was shot straight into the patients. That would probably kill them. biggrin.gif

--------------------

2 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: