Rating  5

jon83
  Post#1 | Jun 17 2007, 18:39 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Weapon: Sword
Member No.: 42

Hello everyone, this topic is open to all users on this board. Come in to post a review for any game on any system or console. I or Berkley, and Mister V will hand out 20 kudos to members who writes reviews. Please don't spam or rip anyone elses reviews from other sites, as I will be checking. Let the gaming review begin... thumbsup.gif

Since this is a user review thread, try not to sound like GameSpot or IGN or any other gaming sites. The most important thing is your personal opinion about the game and why you liked it, some facts may not matter.

For references, try to include a link to the game's profile on GameSpot at the very least, or to it's official site. Other useful links (like to the biggest fansite) are also welcome.

So if you've played a game and you want to share your opinion, please come in and tell us what you think.
Thank you and enjoy!

- MisterV

Here's a short review i posted on gamespot earlier today, it' not exactly the same one i posted on there though, i've added a little more to it, and fixed some errors.

Game: Silent Hill

System: Playstaion 1

Genre: Survival Horror

Players: 1

The one that started it all. Yes the first game in the Silent Hill series, is one of the best survival horror games to grace the Playstation 1. While the games graphics aren't the high point of the game, the story and gameplay makes up for the weak presentation. The story follows Harry Mason, and his search for his missing daughter Cheryl in Silent Hill. There are two realities in the game, normal and alternate reality. Running around town ain't easy, that's where your trusty map comes into play, allowing you to see where you're supposed to go, and where to pick up keys to advance to the next location. The town of Silent Hill seems peaceful and quiet, but not all is what it seems, when you encounter all sorts of beast and monsters trying to kill you. You'll many have weapons at your disposal. In the begining of the game you are given a handgun, then you'll find shotguns and rifles later on. As for hand-to-hand combat, there are knives, metal pipes and other good tools to use to kill monsters with. There are also a few bonus unlockable weapons after finishing the game, but i won't go in to that, you'll have to find out yourself. There are also a few puzzles in the game to slow things down a bit, but they're not too hard to figure out. What really makes this game stand out is its awesome boss fights. You'll go up against a giant moth like creature, a huge worm and many more. Don't want to spoil the game for you guys, so if you want to know more please play through the game.

All in all, this is one of my favourite ps1 games, and i'd strongly recommend to fans of the survival horror genre. This game shouldn't be missed.

Not the best review ever written, but not bad cosidering this was my first written review i've posted. Sorry if it sucked...

This post has been edited by jon83: Dec 1 2007, 12:05

Nico
  Post#2 | Jun 17 2007, 19:05 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

THE REVIVALATOR
Member No.: 18

Good review. Here's 20 happy.gif

--------------------
TNENIMMI SI LAVIVER UG
Nico's the name, bumping's the game

Silent_Sound
  Post#3 | Jun 17 2007, 23:45 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: With harmony
Weapon: Paintball gun
Member No.: 6,975

Well the idea is good.
So here it goes.

Game-Shadow of The Colossus.
Platform PlayStation 2
Genre- Alone Boss Battles (If that's even a genre)

Spawn from the earilier, title ICO Colossus steps into the world broken and alone. Roaming a massive map, you the young hero must defeat the 15 Colossi that hold the power to receive your departed girlfriend. It's a story of love, hardship, and desperation. Colossus's story line is set and you ready.

The opening scene is perfect, you and your horse Agro alone with a shadowed blanket ride to the entry gate that leads to the cursed land, where a massive bridge spans over, a land of unforgettable proportions. An area that deems doom. With the wind at your back you begin you journey...

[Note-No spoilers are contained with-in the following.]
Battle are better bigger.
When the cut-scene ends you are sent off with your trusty steed a sword bathed in light, a bow, and your hands. With a can-do attitude this is all you are given and nothing more. No power ups no cheats. Nothing.
Setting out to meet your first battle you begin to see what kind of terrain you will travel. Filled with lush settings, beautiful rocks and HUGE landscape. Bridges that take time to walk, waterfalls so large, you can not even begin to feel for it.
The terrain is large and with no other human life, you the player will feel alone and wounder as your find makes up it's on idea of what the area might have looked like many years ago...

The battles as I have said are massive. Using only your sword, bow, and your mind you are forced to figure out where you can attack and how. The game engine putt's the PlayStation 2 at it's max utilizing ever line of code nothing over looked. Even the trees are different. Only 2 are the same.
The battles are long and drawn out but majorly satisfying. Climbing on top, exposing it's weakness and the cut-scene where the Colossi falls is a feeling of a job well done.

This game is a must play, must see.

"Some Mountains Are Scaled, Others Are Slain."
How could you argue with that?

--------------------
I suppose the time for words are now.

Beakening the words for Silent Sound.

Stand here and wait, and see.

For the vision is gray with me.

Stand here, and see what I know.

Or been gone and go.

See what is seen.

Known to be keen.

There is rise to the ground.

Silent_Sound.

jon83
  Post#4 | Jun 18 2007, 07:36 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Great review Silent. I've heard good thing about SoTC but never got around to playing it. I might get my friend to import me a copy next month. Here's +20 for you. wink.gif

Mark
  Post#5 | Oct 3 2007, 18:41 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Weapon: Shotgun
Member No.: 6,649

I was very bored so I decided to post a revision.

Game: Midnight Club 3

Platform: Playstation 2 (also Playstation portable)

Genre: Racing

There is 2 types of this game. One is Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition and one is Midnight Club 3 Dub Edition Remix. The DUB Edition is for PS2 and PSP and the Remix is only for PS2. Now I'm going to tell what's the diffrence.

The Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition Remix was made after the DUB Edition. Diffrence is that in Remix there is 1 new city. Tokyo. It is taken from Midnight Club 2 but the graphics are totally changed. Map is same. In Remix you can find more vehicles, more vehicle customization and 2 new songs (I suppose). Some of my favourites vehicles that has been added to Midnight Club 3 DUB Edition Remix are Hummer H3T, Tokyo Police Car, Cadillac (the name coming soon, it's a muscle car) and others.

You start with 21 000$ and you must buy a vehicle. There are 4 classes. When you bough a car, you will need to do a race. Pass that race to continue your career. There are club events that requiers you having a particular type of vehicle. There types are: Tuners, Sport Bikes, Exotics, Muscle Cars, Choppers, SUV/Turcks and Luxury Sedans. You must do all club races in each city (except Tokyo). Exotic, Sport Bike and Tuner clubs teach you Zone. This allows you to slow down time. Chopper and Muscle Car clubs teach you Roar. Using this and everyone on the road will scatter out of your way. Even opponents. SUV and Luxury Sedan clubs teach you Agro. Whenever you hit somene it will almost fly out of your way. There are also Tournaments. Winning this usually gives you a vehicle. After you've done all racers in San Diego, Atlanta and Detroit, you will need win the champions to become a world champion. Becoming the WC gives you Lamborgini Murcileago for the prize. Tokyo challenge is also required for 100%. There you have to do City Races to unlock tournaments. After you done all tournaments you don't have to do Tokyo Races no more and they will appear as red dots like in other citys. You can do them to win cash only. Plenty options are in Midnight Club 3. The Race editor is the best. Also you can play Multiplayer. 100% rewards are Cadillac Sixteen and Police Bike.

Well that's my revision of this game wink.gif

This post has been edited by Berkley: Dec 22 2007, 20:41

jon83
  Post#6 | Nov 26 2007, 08:38 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Bump.

Here's a short review of Syphon Filter: Dark Mirrior for the PSP.

Game: Syphon Filter: Dark Mirrior

Platform. Playstation Portable

This is the first Syphon Filter for the PSP handheld portable console, and is probably one of the best shooters to ever grace the PSP. The original three games started out on the original Playstation back in the mid to late 90's, then moved on to ps2, which literally killed the franchise. Luckly it isn't so for this game, as it is a reimagining of the series with great graphics (almost ps2 quality) and tight controls that work well on the limited button configuation on the PSP. The story follows Gabe Logan, our hero from the past games, and his team.

They are trying to find the Dark Mirrior (a deadly nerve gas), which could threaten to cause havok throughout europe. In game includes a wide array of weapons to use, you're only allowed to carry 4 guns at any given time, but that doesn't affect the gameplay much because the ammo dropped from dead enemy soldiers should be sufficent enough. The whole game is about 6-7 hours long, but there are many more bonuses like unlockable missions, and an seperate online mutiplayer game, which I haven't had a chance to take part of. All in all, this is the best shooter on the PSP, period. I'd highly recommned this game to any PSP owner who loves to play shooters.

Graphics: 8/10
Sound: 8/10
Controls: 7/10

Overall: 8.5/10

There's also a ps2 version that came out recently, that was ported from the PSP, so if you don't ownn a PSP you can still get a hand at trying out this game.

This post has been edited by jon83: Nov 26 2007, 08:40

Mark
  Post#7 | Nov 26 2007, 12:14 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Great review! Here's 20 wink.gif But since Nico isn't active anymore, there's only hope on J83 thumbsup.gif

This post has been edited by Berkley: Dec 22 2007, 20:41

jon83
  Post#8 | Nov 26 2007, 12:44 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Berkley @ Nov 26 2007, 20:14 ) *

Great review! Here's 20 wink.gif But since Nico isn't active anymore, there's only hope on J83 thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the kudos mate. If you like we can team up together for this review thread. When someone writes a review me or you can hand out the 20 kudos. I'd like to revive this topic, but no one seems to like to post reviews. sleep.gif

Chaos-Energy
  Post#9 | Nov 26 2007, 13:20 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Too much
Weapon: Pistol
Member No.: 404

I might make a few but I don't have a lot of recent games. Maybe a TF2, Ep2 or Portal one.

jon83
  Post#10 | Nov 28 2007, 08:32 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Here's my short review for Half-Life 2:

Game: Half-Life 2

System: PC

This is a sequel to the original Half-Life game from 1998. The story is told and seen from the eyes of Gordan Freeman, a scientist and hero from the original game. You'll encounter a hand full of colorful characters along the way, and a bunch of badass ememies. Includiing soldiers, called ''the combine'', and head crabs and walking corpses that have been controled by strange alien beings. As you make your way to the citidel, you have to fight your way though surreal locals in a not so distant dystopian future. In game you will have a wide arrange of weapons at your disposle, my favourite being the Gravity Gun, which you can use to grab and fling things at enemy AI, when super charged you can suck enemy bad guys and throw them at each other, but you won't get to see that until you reach the citidel.

There's also two sequences when you can hop on to a dune buggy and hover craft, I'll admit those were probably the best levels in the game in my opinion. The whole expreience of HL2 is simply put, awesome. One of the greatest FPS games ever made, not excluding the original of course. Any player with a small interest in shooting games should give this a try, if you haven't already played it. I can't describe how much I love this game, so without being bias, I'll stop here.

Graphics: 8.5/10 (A little dated by todays standards, but it's still rain supreme)

Sound: 9/10 (Great sounding weapons, that make you feel that you're really fighting in a war)

Controls 10/10 (Need I say more? You've all played FPS's)

Overall: 9.5/10

This post has been edited by jon83: Nov 28 2007, 08:34

Waffler
  Post#11 | Nov 28 2007, 10:02 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: With Your C:/ Drive
Weapon: Rock
Member No.: 50

My Review for Orange Box
Genre: FPS

The Orange box is a gamers Gift, Containing not only "Half Life Episode 2" but also "Portal" and "Team Fortress 2"

Half Life Episode 2 is the next Chapter in the Half Life series, which you play as a scientist, Gordon Freeman, who worked at Black Mesa. The Episode is set in the outskirts of City 17. The game features an updated Source engine. In this episode you meet many new creatures such as the Hunter, the cool looking Antlion Worker. Also Included is a new jeep named the "Hot rod" Resembling a 1969 Dodge Charger and a new weapon called the "Strider Buster" or what other people call it "The Magnussons Device". This cool funky weapons allows you to kill striders in one hit, Providing that you can launch bomb at the torso and shoot it this can also be annoying since if you don't have great aim and timing. The soundtrack in this game is fantastic to the fast-past music playing when fighting the antlion guardian to the creepy music.

Portal is different from the HL2 and TF2. Portal is a puzzle gaming requiring the player to create "portals" which allows them to create an inter-spatial portal between flat planes. This game can be quite scary at times. There are many tactics in this game which players need to use such as momentum redirection Objects retain their speed as they pass through the portals but their velocity will be altered depending on the orientation of the exit portal. Portal is set at Aperture Science, a rival company to Black Mesa. The player plays as "Chell". As you progress through the levels you are helped by GLaDOS, an AI computer which is crazy. The ending credit song is fantastic and so is the music in this game.

Team Fortress 2 is a sequel to Team Fortress. This game has had a major graphical overhaul and game play overhaul. The game graphics is some what cartoony-like, they kind of look like the CGI Film "The Incredibles". TF2 is a multiplayer game in which two teams compete for objectives. There are 9 Classes to choose from each having different weapons and perks. The game ships with 6 MP Maps but there are many to download from the internet.

There are some cons in this game which I won't go on about since they are hardly anything. The Orange Box can go down as one of the greatest game collection there is yet.

Graphics: 9.7. Dynamic Lightning, shadowing, what more could you ask for?
Sound: 10/10 The music, sound effects and Dialogue in this game is great
Gameplay: 9.8 Some flaws but none of the less IT IS AWESOME

Overall: 9.8

--------------------
IPB Image

Mark
  Post#12 | Nov 28 2007, 13:32 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Killzone

Genre:Killing, ofcourse...
Console: PS2, and PSP too, not sure.
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertaiment ®

War. Helghasts vs ISA. The helghast are the worst enemies of ISA. You have to play in ISA team and kill all those helghasts! You sturt in a desert and have to move on. Everywhere are bots, with their helicopters, tanks and power weapons. You have teammates with you and your team has to make thorw levels and kill all helghasts which get in the way. There are very powerful weapons in the game, for example Squad Cannon, Grenade Launcher, Light Machinegun and much more.

Now for game options:

You can play Deathmach alone, 2 player mode is in this game available. Or you can play team deathmach. There will be teams if you select right options. Online servers available. Also try options like Domination, Supply Drop, Defend & Destroy, Assault. All levels have diffrent things you must pass.

Gameplay:

I'd reccomend server Beach because it's great. There are towers, take sniper rifle, get up, and shoot all helghast b*****ds! Careful, they might shoot you with rocker launcher. Of course there are other many servers which I should reccomend to try, but I like that one a lot.

"In times of war, do not crave honour. Do not pray for order, amity or surrender. Ask only that you outlive the day." -Killzone

Game has it's official site: Click here.

This post has been edited by Berkley: Dec 22 2007, 20:42

jon83
  Post#13 | Nov 30 2007, 10:04 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Another short review for Half-Life 2: Episode One.

Game: Half-Life 2: Episode One

Genre: First Person Shooter

We're back again, Half-Life 2: Episode One is a direct continuation of the Half-Life 2 storyline. The story starts right after the ending of Half-Life 2, in which Gordon Freeman kills Dr. Breene, the whole game is centered around you and Alyx Vance trying to escape from the Citidel, and out of City 17. There's not much to say, it's the same old source engine, but they've kicked it up a notch by adding HDR (High Dynamic Range Lighting), that looks stunning if your machine can run it. As for the weapons, they're the same as Half-Life 2, minus the antlion bate. It's still a great expansion to the series, that really bring the game forward, but it's quite short clocking in at about 2-3 hours. All in all it's still Half-Life, a great game for a budget price, that is if you bought ''The Orange Box''. Highly Recommend to fans of the series.

Graphics: 9/10

Sound: 9/10

Controls: 9/10

Overall: 9/10

jon83
  Post#14 | Dec 7 2007, 06:34 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Here's another one:

Game: Bully (Canis Canem Edit)

System: Playstation 2 (Coming soon to Xbox 360 and Wii)

Genre: Sandbox action/adventure

Bully isn't your typical action adventure game, it's more akin to Grand Theft Auto. And it's funny because there is no blood in this game or killing. The beginning of the game is set in a boarding school called ''Bulloworth''. It follows the tale of Jimmy Hopkins, a no good trouble maker.

He is dropped off to Bullworth Academy by his mother and step father before they go on their year long vacation. Like GTA, it's a open ended world game with many places to explore. You can trigger missions by going to a certain location. Besides missions, there are classes that can attend during the couse of your stay at the school, from morning 'till noon, there are six classes in all: English, Shop, Chemistry, Art, gym and Photography. Each with 5 levels to complete before you can finish the course. After school ends you can run errands for student and teacher on your free time.

Instead of guns and knives like it's older brother; GTA, you can get to use fire crackers and sling-shots as your weapons of choice, when all else fails you can fight with your fist. You can make your way around the campus and town with your trusty skateboard or jack a bike from a fellow student to ride around. Later on in game you can drive a moped. Like GTA, there are also many fun side missions to do. There are many scattered throughout the little town. You can mow lawns, enter bicycle races and even work as a paper boy. Bully is a fun game with many things to do, although you might be turned off by immature setting. It's still a great game that is worth playing, if you're a fan of open ended worlds. Highly recommended.

Graphics: 8/10 (not bad for a ps2 game, though not the best.)

Sound: 8/10 (the soundtrack for the game is pretty good, there's no licensed music in the game, but the original score is pretty darn good.)

Controls: 9/10

Overall: 8.5/10

Mark
  Post#15 | Dec 7 2007, 07:20 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Game: GTA: Vice City Stories

System: Playstation 2 and PSP

Genre: Adventure

When LCS got released for PSP, R* fans wanted to have more GTA games on PSP so R* created another one - VCS. Taking place in 1984 (2 years before original VC), you play as a soldier, Vic Vance. Vic signed up for the army and military because his family didn't have money to pay his brother's (Pete's) healthcare, his mother was using drugs, his brother Lance came out of nowhere and family totally screwed up. All chances were on him. During the work of the military, he gets kicked out of it because of the dumb sergant, who requested to bring a hooker to the base and under his bed was founded drugs. Kicked out onto the streets of Vice City, Vic had to take business with many contacts, which most of them are criminals.

Gameplay:
Vice City Stories has lots of new features. First of all, the star, Phil Collins is in Vice City Stories, which was surprise for GTA VCS players. Then there are more options you didn't see in LCS. Flying plane, swimming etc. However, it appears to be that Vice City is bigegr than Liberty City. What we haven't seen before, is a new addition JetSki, which you can make for cruising or doing water stunts. There are many new vehicles added too, like Quadbike, BMX, BiPlane, Yola etc. Some of them appeared first in SA. There is new addition - Empires. You can build empire as random types businesses. Also not forgetable from SA terretory gets undder attack, there is same thing with empires that will come under attacks some times. So prepare to defend your business! Take your way to explore the 1984 and help Vic to do his career.

Graphics: 9/10 - They are amazing for PS2, but for PSP I'd say 6/10.

Sound: 10/10 - the sound and radio stations are just amazing, on top is V Rock with Couzin Ed and Lazlow.

Controls: 10/10 - for PS2 version 10, but for PSP 7.

Overall: 9.5/10 - very good game.

This post has been edited by Berkley: Dec 22 2007, 20:43

Mark
  Post#16 | Dec 22 2007, 21:00 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Game: GTA Liberty City Stories

System: Playstation 2 ® and Playstation Portable ® (PSP)

Genre: Adventure

Saw platinum today in store. Game takes place in 1998, you play as Toni Cipriani, member in Salvatore family mafia. Toni returns to Liberty City after killing a 'made man', we don't know exactly who the 'made man' was. Vincenzo Cilli, another mafia member, firstly puts on Toni all his dirty work, but then Toni kills him for that. Characters are almost same and new ones, JD O'Toole, the guy was killed, Ma Cipriani, you already heard of her in GTA 3, however she is still not shown in the game, only talks. There is no Joey Leone, but there is a GTA legend Salvatore Leone. After you will make to second island, you will recieve missions from Salvatore, Donald Love (the another guy from GTA 3), Leon McAffrey (the guy who you needed to kill in GTA 3) and yet, some in his cutscene appears to be Ray, but he won't give you missions this time. Once the police gets to know that what you and Sal have been up to, Sal gets busted and you have to make your way to get him out. It is probably Sindacco member's fault, which you kill in the mission for Sal while he's in prison. In the last mission, you need to kill Mayor RC Hole if I remember correctly, who has been screwing up Sal. There are many more contacts, but I told you the main ones. Gameplay is okay, tho it would be still nice if they have left in the small army base (GTA 3 Phil's place) and the tunnel from Staunton to Shoreside. One very interesting thing is that we will be able to see Avery Carrington from VC! And he's wearing same clothes as in VC! VC took place in 1986, and LCS 1998, so count how many years has he been wearing those! ohmy.gif Anyway, you need to kill him in LCS, because Donald Love (which was also seen in VC cutscene during one mission for Avery) wants to know his plans. There are bikes in the game, but sadly no helicopters or aircraft you are available to ride.

Graphics: 7/10 - Ofcourse they are better than in GTA 3, but when the weather is foggy, you could only imagine how you will feel.

Sound: 8/10 - hm, not bad. My favourites are Flashback FM (DJ Reni Wassulmaier, who was character in VCS, 1984) and LCFR (Chatterbox is the best there with Lazlow.)

Controls: 8/10 - sometimes they really are slow, but still ok.

Overall: 7.7/10

[PS. I edited my posts so they can now look white at least in this thread ;).]

This post has been edited by Berkley: Dec 23 2007, 17:23

Pvt. Blackhawk
  Post#17 | Dec 26 2007, 05:43 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Paintball
Weapon: Bow and Arrow
Member No.: 26

My review of Call of Duty 4 for the XB360 (aka, long rant to make it the perfect game):

I do feel that on PC this game would be more enjoyable, however the game itself is basically the same (the main difference being that PC potential has user maps and mods, which would make 4 better, but this review is on the stock game).

Well, I don't know where to start. CoD has always been known for epic single player and fun multiplayer. While fun though, single player isn't nearly as epic as previous games and multiplayer is lacking. Unlike other reviews, I have an opinion and this game isn't going to get a 10/10 just because of it's name. I guess I'll start with the basics then move into SP and MP gameplay and features (or lack of in alot of cases). In 4, IW made a abandoned CoD as we know and love and took a huge leap to modern times. While fun and memorable, it just doesn't have that desperite CoD feel of WWII.

Graphics/Visuals:

CoD looks very nice on the 360. The maps have nice artwork (although all of it way is overused). The shader efects of heat, ect. add a very nice touch. Explosions are nice and satisfing, having a nice fireball and kicking up dust when set off. The player and weapon models are nice, however they lack authenticity and attention to detail. The iron sites in the game are nice while taking the surroundings out of focus, but most take up to much of the screen and are fairly useless. The wheater effects in the game are very nice adding a new depth to combat. The visuals are satisfing, but I expect much more out of a 60$ game made by professionals.

Sounds/Effects:

I have never really been pleased with the souns and effects in the CoD series. This may be sound engines not being good enough, developer laziness, or a combination of both. Either way I expected more from 4. Ambience lacks variety if even present. Weapon sounds are still weak and drowned out. Effects have no variety and seem the same. Sounds from explosions aren't loud enough and still lack variety. Rounds whizzing over your head are weak, because of this it is hard to keep heads down with volume fire. I'm not asking for IW to go to Iraq and record sounds, but with resources availible they should beable to have better sounds than ametuers who don't get paid.

Physics (or lack of?) and animations:

The most physics I have seen in CoD were ragdolls. While they are pretty nice, they aren't that great. Bodies sometimes get stuck, and at times they will slide down inclined surfaces like hot butter. Animations are nice, yet like everything else, they lack variety. The running is very fluid though, although abit to fast. Samne thing with switching stances. Reloading animations are fluid and take the right amount of time.

Now on to single player story. Most of the gameplay will be covered in the multiplayer part although those features should (or shouldn't) transfer to SP.

The single player story was fun, although the plot was not very origional. They way the plot was played out though was very nice. The campaign seemed shorter than previous CoD games. Gameplay in SP got very repetitive, for the most part it was linear. The enemy kept respawning unless you moved up yourself. However they seemed to always direct there fire on you just like in previous games (making just normal mode difficult and frustraiting). Your team still only moved if you went ahead and triggered them too. After awhile SP got very boring and felt like a chore to play.

IW should have stayed in WWII, that only gets old if you make it get old, there are tons of WWII scenarios that could be put in. Well, it is modern times, so lets get back to the review and go on to MP. Where the real meat is located.

Maps/Gamemodes:

Most maps are pretty nicely sized for 12-18 people that the 360 supports, I don't think there are any more than 10, half of which are any good. As stated ealier, alot of the art is repeated, used over and over (not to mention the same stuff is in SP too). Variety in everything makes good games. The gamemodes are mainly the same from previous CoD games (no retreval though, wtf?) with some new ones. While they are all fun, IW could have came up with some new origional ideas.

XBL:

The matchmaking in XBL sucks my left nut. You can only serch for the gamemode you want to play. Not even the damn map. The game has very bad lag problems. If the most leaves the game, then you are dropped to the main menu, with nothing in the game recorded. I have had my best matches go to nothing because the host left.

Ranks/Challenges:

The ranks in CoD, to me, are just annoying. They make you unlock everything untill you rank up. While this can add length to playing, it gets frustraing when you spend hours ranking up for a new weapon only to have it suck. Some players just say screw it all together. You should have eveything availible to you when you are new. Higher ranks alot of the times will also look down upon lower ranks, no matter if they are good or not (in which case they should be helping out). A much better aproach would be to still track stats and then match you with players like you, many players think rank means something so they whore up, but when you get matched with them they suck.

The challeges in the game are a great addition I think. They add something more to the game other than just winning (although winning is fun). I don't like how challeges need unlocked though. If they were unlocked from the start then I would have so many more done, which is why they are probalbly locked in the first place. More challeges would have been nicer.

Create a class:

Create a class while not being very realistic, is a new unique feature that adds life and variety IMO. Thumbs up to IW for the most part.

Perks:

The perks all seem very balanced out, some of them are annoying though. When I kill a guy, how does he majically spawn a pistol in his hands, can rotate 360 degrees like his body is lying on a turntable, while firing that pistol accuatly? When I kill someone, how do they sh*t out a live grenade, which seems more powerful and cooked? While balanced, some of the perks are in to offset bullsh*t. UAV jammer? Since when do UAV's upload red dots on a mini map to soldiers brains? Overall I liked the perk system.

Weapons:

Picking your own weapon is a nice touch, while not realistic, it adds variety. Attachments and skins are nice, but I feel that they could have added more. Weapons feel balanced nicely even with attachments. I do feel that muzzle climb under automatic fire should be wiler and greater making it harder to control. I don't think that pistols and smg's belong at all though. They already have poor range and stopping power in real life (which the game increses them aswell as accuracy so they can compete), but the armor and kevlar's (helmets) the players wear can stop most of there rounds. Leaving these out would have free'd up the DEVS to concetrate on other aspects of the game. The scopes on the snipers are pretty lame. The game has all nice 3D sights so why not scopes? The ACOG does this but that thing is useless. The 50 caliber sniper rifle only belongs in the one single player mission where you take out a VIP at extreme range. Why didn't IW include any deployable machine guns? I think these would add a nice touch if done right (aka, being deployed doesn't make you immoble). IW could have done the same with all other weapons, rest your rifle on a ledge for added accuracy. Hell, Vietcong had a nice feature where you could hide behind cover, then going sighted would expose only enough of you to fire an accurate shot. I don't like how changing your stance does nothing to improve accuracy. It isn't that bad with rifles, but LMG's should be easier to control while crouched or prone, sniper rifles should have less scope sway. Why can't I change my firemode what if I want to place my M16 on single shot for more accuracy? One of the few good things about R6:Vegas was the firemodes menu. Does IW not learn from other games features? Switching firemodes with a grenade equiped (yes, also like equiping a grenade in RB6:Begas, no more LB and RB sh*t), you could change from roll, drop, toss 1-3 (1 gets it out faster, less accurate, while not going as far). First off, they don't just spawn live in your hand and you chuck them like a baseball. You sling you rifle, pull out a grenade, pull the pin (arming the grenade so it must be thrown, but not starting the fuse), you then wing up, release the spoon, wait a second, then lob the SOB. It is a grenade, not a baseball, about a pound. Grenades have a kill radius of about ~5m and a causity radius of ~15m, these things arent waterballons. Smoke grenades need to last way longer, 3 second smoke is gay, for gameplay 20 seconds full smoke would be better with 5 seconds to billow up and 5 seconds to die out.

Gameplay:

The gameplay in CoD4 is like other FPS games for the most part. It does get boring just having 5 second engagements though. If the spawns we better I thik gameplay would improve. Currently you can have enemies spawn behind your team just because. Having better spawns so lines develop in the map would have been alot better. As I said ealier, runing speeds should have been slowed down, to about a jog would fit. Jumping is utterly retarded. As if you can jump 6 feet with no wieght, try doing it in full armor and combat gear. Few inches if most. They should have just kept strictly the climbing system. The Radar, how about gaydar. I wish our soldiers had those implanted into their head so that when a distant enemy just fires a shot he shows up as a red dot. Knives are retarded, they are tools, not spawn in your hand, sprint up and lunge, super lethal clean slice through armor and body. They should have kept the buttstrokes. One stuns and two klls. One to the neck/head kills. The health system is very flawed. I have shot guys (which should stun more than alittle red flash on screen) only for then to regenerate to full health and kill me. Retarded. Health bars are alot better. Falling and hearing crack should reduce speed, 2nd time break your legs making you an immobile ****. Getting shot in the shouder or arm should reduce accuracy. Getting shot in the foot/leg should reduce speed. When shot (once where your armor doesnt cover), you should slowly bleed out. Blood decals appear and team mates may bandage legs/arms to stop bleeding. UAV's are stupid how they are. You should have to have a GPS equiped and then relay the spots to your team. Airstrikes should be like in single player, you paint a target and few seconds later, boom. Same with helos, only those last longer. Thats how they should be, but getting kill streaks shouldn't automatically give you them. You should have to equip them and even then they are flawed. Why give someone on a kill streak an airstrike followed by a gunship? Killcam is retarded. When I am dead how the **** do I see my killers perspective? Hardcore mode is f****** retarded, everything basically kills in a shot nomatter where the hit was, there isn't even a f****** round timer. Crosshairs should be off with weapon sway. X's popping up when you hit a guy is retarded, same thing with 10+ popping up when you kill him and the death message displayed. The game doesn't even have leaning. The dpad should control leaning. If IW spent there time making menus like in RB6: Vegas that both the bumpers and the dpad would be free. Mounted machine guns are retarded. The model is an m249, and they are then called that, but they are like a M2 50 cal. No heating of the barrel from rapid fire and no having to reload.

That's about all my ranting. Many of you may say "he wants 100% real", no I don't, thats wouldn't be fair or fun, plus it's not possible in a game. I probalbly left out a bunch of stuff that IW left out. No, none of this will be added, they haven't even patched the damn thing yet and the one coming is crap. My only hope for CoD4 is a good mod for PC. I will still play it though, it's fun absolutly raping the dumb**** scrubs with ease. Untill then CoD4 only gets a 6.5 from me.

This post has been edited by Pvt. Blackhawk: Dec 27 2007, 01:10

--------------------
IPB Image
"The only bad "F-word" is FCC." -Tom Morello on censorship
USMC

Chaos-Energy
  Post#18 | Jan 10 2008, 19:18 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Well everyone seems to be writing reviews about games and I'm pretty surprised no one wrote a review about one of the new consoles. So I'm going to write a review about my new PS3. I'll try to stay as objective as possible but, well, meh. Another thing you should know is that I bought the 40GB version (€399) so some information in this review won't apply on all the versions.

The package

So, let's start with the package. Nothing big, inside we find the PlayStation 3 system, one Sixaxis wireless controller, a printed (shortened) documentation, a USB cable to recharge your controller, a power cable, an AV-cable and a Euro-AV-Adapter. There's no HDMI cable inside which is my first con but I got a gold-plated one for €6. Still, they should've included one IMO.

The system's exterior

Now let's look at that shiny black thing we just paid a whole lot of cash for. You can set it up horizontally and vertically. I set my up vertically so it can easily stand next to the television. Now to the technical aspect of the exterior. My version has only 2 USB (2.0) slots but a hub will fix that problem. Still on the front you can see a a few leds so you can see the state of your system, USB devices and your WiFi. What I like most about the front is the soft-touch eject and power on buttons. It's fun to just turn the console on and off. biggrin.gif The Blu-Ray drive doesn't have a tray so it swallows your disks much like a VHS and it has a nice dust and scratch protection.

On the back we have some outputs like HDMI & optical sound (there's more for older Tvs), internet output and the power switch. On the left side we have nothing, seeings as you place the PS3 on that side if you want to put it vertically, on the other side we have (hot) air coming out of the PS3. I'd also like to mention that it's nearly impossible to hear the PS3. You have to get really close to the console to hear it. Very good job.

The system's interior

Well I won't say much about this, I'm sure we all know what's under the hood. RSX delivering us with nice eye-candy, the Cell calculating a lot of... well, calculations and the HDD to store your sh*t. Really not much to say about it, got enough HDD space to store my savegames, a demo or two and Linux which I will be experimenting with shortly. (Either the latest Ubuntu or Debian etch) The RSX gives me my much desired 1080p images and the Cell makes everything works properly.

The controller

Let's start by saying I'm still extremely happy because it didn't end up being a freaking boomerang. The Sixaxis is much like the PS2 controller but it's lighter, wireless, has motion sensing, a PS button in the middle and does not have rumble. The new Japanese controllers do but the west has to wait for those. It uses a USB cable (mini – male A I believe) to recharge itself. But this cable is extremely short, too short in my opinion but I have a few others around here. Haven't tested them but I take it they work.

The Sixaxis isn't the only controller you can use. Because of the USB slots you can use pretty much any USB keyboard and mouse. I tried a wireless USB mouse just to test this and it worked flawlessly. The console also has a few mouse and keyboard options like changing the mouse speed, keyboard interval times and an option for left-handed people. It all works perfect and Sony did a pretty good job at the mouse controls in the menus.

Games

Well the PS3 had a pretty slow start with the games but it's going pretty good lately with games like Ratchet & Clank ToD and Uncharted: Drake's Fortune being pretty new. The most innovative game up to this point must be Day of Judgement. A card game that uses the new Eyetoy to make the cards come to live. A wet dream for any hardcore card gamer.

The PS3 has to ways to get online, you can use the built-in WiFi or a traditional cable. At this point, I use WiFi because it was just so easy to set up and works flawlessly. It has a better signal than my dad's laptop but I still prefer a traditional cable because I don't want lagspikes or sudden disconnects while gaming. You never know...

Once you're online you should make a PSN ID so you can play your games online, add friends and chat with them. Either through video and sound or just through the traditional typing. There's also a nice PlayStation store where you can buy old PS1 games, PS3 games like Warhawk or fl0w and PSP ports like Tekken Dark Resurrection. There's also a bunch of free downloads like wallpapers, themes, demo's and game add-ons (usually not free though, depends on the devs). One thing I don't like about the store is that different nationalities get different stores. This forces me to have 2 different accounts on my PS3 because I can't access stuff that's only in the American store. For example the R&C theme is only available in the US store while the Killzone 2 theme is only available in the European store while both of their content works on the machine. Maybe not the games but still...

Oh and last but not least, it's free.

Other features

Let's start with Home. It's a lot like Second Life but just for PS3 users. I look at it as just a virtual chat room with some fancy features. I'm not sure if I will spend a lot of time in here but you never know. It's free and Sony will be adding more and more stuff to it. I just hope it won't get infested with advertisements.

DVD-upscaling is nice to have but I hardly see a difference so that's nothing big.

The firmware updating system is very easy to use. Just connect to the internet, press the update button, press the X button 2 more times when it asks you to and you have the latest firmware. At the time of writing it's 2.10 and the most important feature for me is the DivX support, awesome.

In 2.10 you can also change your voice if you don't like people to hear your real one. I heard little kiddo's like having low voices, huray for them. rolleyes.gif

The PS3 can also search the network for any media server. This looks really cool to me and since I just got my sister's old computer I'm going to turn it in one so I can listen to my music and watch my movies on PS3 without having to fill my HDD on it.

For all you caring souls there's also Folding@home, a system that allows you to volunteer your PS3 to help find cures for diseases. It seems to be pretty big on PS3 because I had a look at the stats and the total Tflops volunteered was over 1.1k and all the PS3 systems had exact 800. Windows PCs had about 170 and Linux PCs somewhere around 40.

Well that's pretty much all I can think of right now. I've had the system for a few days now and I've been figuring out new stuff every day. I'm really glad I bought the console, especially since I got it €200 cheaper than most of my friends. tongue.gif

So as a conclusion I'm going to sum up all the pro's and cons that I think are worth mentioning.

Pro's:
Next gen gaming
Cheap Blu-Ray player
Full HD support
Very good built-in WiFi
Free online
Linux
Media server support
DivX support
Open console, pretty much all USB & Bluetooth peripherals should work on it.
Motion sensing
Browsing the web on a big screen TV (very good browser btw)
Soft touch and Blu-Ray drive is cool
Very, very silent

Cons:
Certainly not cheap
My version doesn't play PS2 games, luckily I still have my PS2. smile.gif
No HDMI cable included
No rumble, I haven't bought a second controller, waiting for rumble to come out
Different PS Stores for different countries
USB cable is way too short
A movie or a game in the package would've been nice

No really big problems with the console, I “fixed” most cons but I would really like to see something change about the PS Stores.

That's all folks! Haven't spell-checked it so don't complain. If you have additional information on certain subjects or you noticed something wrong, don't hesitate to post or PM it. Thanks for reading.

Mark
  Post#19 | Jan 11 2008, 06:30 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Cool one. Here's your 20 kudos. thumbsup.gif

JollyRoger
  Post#20 | Jan 13 2008, 08:42 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

Title: State of Emergency

System: Playstation 2

IPB Image
Down With Corporate Fascism!! fury.gif

First Impression - I only discovered this game about four months ago when I was looking up Rockstar PS2 releases. SoE caught my attention because like The Warriors it's a beat-em-up which I have been digging for the last several months. It takes me back to the golden age of beat'ems when titles like Double Dragon and Streets of Rage were kings of the console. I'm a sucker for nostalgia and have been pleased with The Warriors' update on the genre. I wanted to see what Rockstar tried a few years earlier with SoE. So I bit the bullet and took a chance on a title that by 2008 was already seven years long in the tooth. In my first ten or twenty minutes of playing the fighting mechanics later used in The Warriors revealed themselves in their fledgling form in SoE. Great games have to start somewhere right.

Next Thoughts - SoE has all of the charm and wit of other Rockstar titles so I warmed up to it easily. There are essentially two modes of play. A purely point driven smash and bash romp through the first area of the game (KAOS) which is the state controlled shopping mall. There is little or no structure here. No real missions apart from the voiceover cues that tell you were the big points are. Targets include mall window displays, security cops, gang members, and parked cars. Gang members are running through the mall attacking people which render a point penalty when any of the impressive number rendered shoppers is killed. Another object of this mode is to pick up time and heath boosts that are critical to keeping the game going because if time or health run out the round is over. At first I felt that this mode was a little "single-serving" but I recognized later the role it plays in getting the player used to the controls, fighting moves and weapons, which are many, that spawn in the game. It's a very fast paced mode and a great mix of arcade-style action to flavor a console beat'em.

Continuing Experience - After getting my hands warm I switched to the plot driven mission mode called (REVOLUTION). You are part of a guerilla uprising seeking to undermine the corporate fascist Corporation. Your aim is to take over the city one area at a time. Your first target is the shopping mall. A hub of commerce it stands as the economical epicenter of the Corporation's empire. Via agents working within the mall you must take over the various security apparatuses in place throughout the complex. In your way are an army of authoritarian thugs armed with batons, tasers and guns. Also in your way are throngs of rioting looters running amok all over. You must use any weapon you can lay your hands on, or just plain fists, to cleave a way through hostile baton swing jackboots and gang members who can quickly spoil you mission which you will then have to repeat.

Criticisms - Even though I did put down some cash to get this game, I wasn't expecting a watershed title. I got exactly what I was after. I do have a few issues with it though. The controls were a little tricky to get down at first. This was the early days of the PS2 so I expected some more unrefined controls. It always takes about three years for a system to start getting titles that really mesh with the controls. Also there are only four areas. They are not for lack of missions, which there are many, but from a gaming perspective one needs to at least feel the illusion of depth. Running around the same area for a fourth of the game's missions does feel a bit tiresome. More settings would leave a better first impression. And lastly for a beginning player guns, molotovs and grenades are very awkward and hard to use. One gets better at practice but GTA-style aiming SoE is not. One can do better at the start with just the selection of melee weapons or just plain fists. You'll land more hits this way and kill fewer innocents. p.s. One more beef. When in Kaos mode it's hard to get back to the main menu.

Summary - You're not going to break the bank with this title if you're smart and comparison shop well. It would not be such a bad idea to look through your local game shack's bargain bin either. Coming off the heels of GTAIII, SoE had a load of unrealistic expectation heaped onto it's shoulders. Many were hoping that lightning would strike twice. Well, it did. But not in the same place. Which led many game reviewers to wag their fingers. Since I tend to disagree with the majority of game reviewers I put my money on a reasonable hunch that I would like this game. And I do. For a not-so-sophisticated arcade style beat'em SoE is worth every penny. I have only had this game a day but it does look to pay for istelf with the promise of unlockable playable characters and zones for the KAOS mode. Since I didn't pay a bundle to get it, I think I made a pretty good buy. So no buyer's remorse to speak of. In fact if I keep digging this title I may just get the sequel, which unfortunately wasn't given to Rockstar to develop. But oh well. I'm sure other developers can make a good Ps2 game can't they.

Gameplay: Action-style Beat'em. Fun and fast. Cartoonish in a way.

Graphics: Not bad for 2002. On par with many games of the time such as GTAIII.

Controls: Awkward at first but become more fluid with practice.

JR Score: 5.5 out 8.

Characterization: It's a fun inexpensive arcade-style beat-em-up that's good for blowing off steam. If you have a bit of extra cash pick it up or rent it if you don't want to commit to purchase.

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#21 | Jan 13 2008, 11:30 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

QUOTE(Chaos-Energy @ Jan 10 2008, 22:18 ) *

Cons:
Certainly not cheap
My version doesn't play PS2 games, luckily I still have my PS2. smile.gif
No HDMI cable included
No rumble, I haven't bought a second controller, waiting for rumble to come out
Different PS Stores for different countries
USB cable is way too short
A movie or a game in the package would've been nice

You forgot one major con: "All the best games are on its rival console". I'm sorry, but that's true. And I'm not even a fanboy...

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

Chaos-Energy
  Post#22 | Jan 13 2008, 11:50 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

You mean Mass Effect?

I really can't think of much more X360 exclusive games that aren't over-hyped sequels. *cough*Halo 3

Mark
  Post#23 | Jan 13 2008, 12:43 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Mister V @ Jan 13 2008, 13:30 ) *

I think so. Oh and btw, forgot to give JR k's.

JollyRoger
  Post#24 | Jan 13 2008, 19:42 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Thanks. Though I forgot my graphic. I'll put it in now.

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#25 | Jan 14 2008, 20:43 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

To answer Chaos:
Halo 3 was really fun in co-op. I imagine people are getting tons of fun from it in multiplayer (although I don't play it).
Don't forget the new Ace Combat and the GTAIV content, too. Oh and, Gears of War, although you can get it on PC now.

[note: I'm too pissed over my network not having the full Star Trek TOS, so I won't write any review right now, I'll come back later tongue.gif ]

[note 2: wouldn't this topic get overcrowded with comments if everybody started writing them? You'd barely notice the reviews themselves after a while]

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

Dragunov
  Post#26 | Jan 15 2008, 11:04 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with your mom
Member No.: 1,539

America's Army: Special Forces Overmatch (2.8.2)

Platform: PC | Developer: U.S. Army | Freeware | Official Site

This isn't going to be an ordinary review. Instead, i'll tell you my personal story with the game. A year or two ago i have already tried AA when the current version was 2.5 and i didn't like it one bit. But a week ago i decided to give it another try, hoping that my appriciation of realism will balance my hate of crappy game design.
So i made my way to the official site and went straight to the download section. Yes the game is free, but turns out most, if not all official mirrors require you to pay for the download. Needless to say i emmidiately started looking somewhere else. After a while of google fun, i found a free mirror that had the current version. Yay, i'm downloading 3 gigabytes of game, legally. This is one of those unusual moments.

Fast-forward to about a hour later and the gigantic installer is sitting on my desktop. I happily start the installation, and 15 minutes later the slider is full. I said to myself, "Woah, that was slow" and clicked Next. In a moment i came to the sad realisation that this wasn't the installation, the installer only extracted 3 gigs more install files. Yay. After another 15 minutes of installing, it's finally done. Double thumbs up for the US Army for creating such a convenient, well compressed and efficient installer. *sigh*
After finding the game's launch icon among the bunch of identical but differently colored icons the installer flooded my desktop with, i've created my account, since i remembered i had to. When i was done with the (by the way relatively straight forward, i can't complain) process i found the instant play function. Took me long enough, but i wasn't pissed, as i wanted the real thing. Next step: Basic Training. (You have to complete this to play online)

After familiarising with the M16A2(it was worth it, now i know i can clear a jam with pressing J), and a visit to Ft. Leavenworth prison, i hit top score on the range with my first try, and qualify for Advanced Marksman training. So i skip the rest of Basic Training for now and undertake Advanced Marksman. It was pretty fun. A new addition instantly caught my attention: bipods. Hooray. After qualifying perfectly with the M24 and M82 i went back to basic training. Weapon familiarisation with M9, M249SAW and AT4. Passed. Then a quick visit to the obstacle course, there isn't much to say about it though. Next up was the shoot house. It took a few tries to get the hang of it but it was a lot of fun. This can't be said for the rest of the trainings.

That concluded the Basic Training, and i could now undertake Airborne training. In the jump tower i didn't really have to do anything so i passed on the first try, but the live jump didn't go so well as you can guess. The game pretty much leaves you alone to figure things out the hard way. After about an hour of freefalling and landing miles away from the target, i finally passed Airborne Training, which is pretty useless since you don't parachute anywhere else in the game, but it's a requirement for Special Forces training.

Special Forces training, which sounds very 1337 but turns out it wasn't worth the effort. It consists of two lessons. The first is ten painful minutes of listening to the monotone bullsh*t of seven SF members. Seriously, you could tell from their voice that they hate this as much as you do. But the developers kindly placed some cool equipment on tables around each member, so you could look at those while listening to the seven dwarves.
The second part of SF training was Evade and Escape. A Black Hawk puts you down in the middle of nowhere and you have to navigate to three checkpoints without being spotted. Needless to say the game doesn't make it easy for you. Took me about three hours but i am now the master of evading AI. Woo! Though extremely frustrating, it was quite fun and original at the same time.

Before SF training though, i took Advanced Individual Training, which is probably the most entertaining training there is. First you get to drive around in the Humvee(dope manual transmission), then you get to gun down some paper tanks with the CROWS mounted weapon system, and finally, the best part of the entire game, you get to play with the Javelin, which is simulated extremely accurately.
You really need to play it to see what i mean. They even took their time to make the javelin unit and the tubes separate items. And there were a whoooole lot of bells and wistles you could play around with. After a simulation with a training javelin, they put you out in the open and you have 10 minutes to destroy a bunch of valid targets from various positions, limited ammo and you also have to avoid friendly casualties among meeting other criterias. I'm dead serious when i tell you that the Javelin training ALONE makes the game worth getting. But that's the first and only addition to the "worth downloading" list.

The final, and least entertaining training is Medic Training, which surprizingly allows you to play as a medic in multiplayer. By the way, if you don't already know, AA is multiplayer only. That's why i don't talk about single player, there isn't any apart from the trainings.
Back to medic training. What you have to do here, is sit through, and actually listen to three classes of first aid/field medic lessons, then complete the multi-choise tests. Wow. The knowledge you acquire there might save a few lives in the future, but school simulators in games just don't cut it for me. It is certainly a nice addition though.

Finally, no more training! I can actually play!
But do i want to?
The first thing that struck me was the server browser. About one third of the screen was the actual server browser, the rest of the space was filled up by giant buttons and separators. The menu layout is terrible everywhere in the game but this is the most obvious example.

I quickly joined the first server i came across. Since completeing SF training allowed me to use my own configuration M4 in theory, i was expecting to play with that but i no matter how i tried selecting it i always spawned with an M16A2. I was informed that i need 15 honor* for that(which is about 5000 ingame points) Ah well no biggies, i'm an expert marksman anyway. So we spawn, i rush to the first cover i see and look around for an enemy. Bingo, there's a guy not far away standing perfectly still. With my expert M16A2 qualification in my pocket, i confidently shoot him and he doesn't die. Ah well i must have hit him in the torso. I do a double tap but he's still just standing there so i expend the whole magazine on him. No luck. Since he didn't move since i started shooting at him i decide not to take cover when reloading. Guess what, the guy turned around and killed me with one shot.
There are no respawns either, but at least i can watch my teammates stand still. Yeah, after the initial rush in the beginning of the round it's a game of who gets bored and runs out in the open first. While spectating i asked why my rifle isn't doing any damage. A guy replies: "You need to shoot bursts". Wow, thanks dumbass.
Next round starts and i try again with the M16. Two shots, two dead. Now that's more like it. This goes on for a few rounds, then i decide to go try another map.
After finally finding a non-american server with a decent ping, i find myself on in a mid-eastern style urban area. Yay, rooftop fighting. There were two guys against me, but i confidently advanced to my objective. I was minding my own business when i see someone running towards the building i'm in from the corner of my eye. I quickly look at the entrance. Guy comes in, i shoot him twice in the chest and he starts walking backwards, while supressing me with his RPK. Out of bare desperation i run out at him, calmly pumping him full of 5.56 lead. After about 10 shots he's dead. I took about 20 hits in the process, but instead of lying face down in a pool of blood i go back inside the building and finish capturing. Hurray for realism? The other guy didn't make it there in time, i won.
Then the server kindly informs me that my score doesn't count towards my profile becouse there aren't enough players on. "**** YOU I JUST BEAT TWO MOFOS WITH MG'S THE SECOND TIME I EVER PLAY THIS sh*t! "
Ah well, this goes on for two more rounds when finally i get a teammate. I push on happily, since i can now have my points... NOT! One of the enemies decided to leave before the end of the round... bye bye America's Army - i uninstalled it.

*The honor system: This is a feature i think other games should learn from. Each player starts out with 10 honor. By playing nicely it will increase depending on your performance. Violate the rules of engagement(eg. teamkill) and it will decrease. If you decrease enough you lose a honer level. When you go down to 9 you can't join any normal servers. You have to play on, for the lack of a better term special rehabilitational servers to earn your honor back.

Conclusion: this games further proves that you get what you pay for.

EDIT: Something i forgot to write about are sides. You play either US Army or US Army, but the other team will appear to you as OpFor. I can't describe this right, but i have an example. There's that episode of Outer Limits where two countries are administering a sort of drug to their soldiers that makes them illusionate. Soldiers of the other country appear to be aliens to them, and the other side sees them as aliens aswell.
This is sort of what's happening in America's Army. Oh yeah, their weapons are the same as yours when they carry them, except for their model, which changes into an OpFor counterpart. But when you pick one up it gains the stats of the model. For example you attack a guy whos got what appears to be an AK. But its actually an M16, only capable of single shots and bursts. But when he drops it and you pick it up it actually becomes and AK and is now capable of fully automatic fire, reduced accuracy and increased damage.

This post has been edited by Dragunov: Jan 15 2008, 11:25

--------------------
IPB Image

"And you know she's really japanese because her genitals produce a force field that pixelates the air around them"

JollyRoger
  Post#27 | Mar 13 2008, 07:03 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Title: Bully (Canis Canem Edit)
System: Playstation 2

IPB Image
Fight or Flight

First Impression: At first I thought it was a stupid idea and just a lame response by Rockstar to lampoon Harry Potter by taking away the magic element and replacing it with GTA-Style malcontentment and tomfoolery. But then again it was on sale and it was payday so I put aside my doubts and took a chance on it.

When I first started playing I quickly fell victim to easy assumptions of how the world in game was governed. Such as Dress Code and Fighting Back against Bullies. I did an awful lot of running around in circles and getting beat up. After a day of playing I learned pretty well how things ran. Which led me to wear outlandish outfits and beating the crap out of anyone who looked at me funny. I quickly saw what sort of road I was traveling so I started dressing more conservatively and just tried talking to people using my new lingual skills I picked up in English class. That didn’t stop me from pulling a few pranks here and there. But for the most part I didn’t chuck knuckles with anyone that didn’t pick a fight with me. I spent less time running from angry prefects that way.

Next Thoughts: It occurred to me after playing this game for a few days just how political the under and overtones of this game really are. I’m being completely serious. Walking the grounds of Bullworth Academy made me have political convention flashbacks from when I was a kid hanging out in the Texas State Capitol Building. The congruency is eerie. Anyways Bully has a highly developed social structure. Various cliques aggressively control different parts of the school. The Protagonist Jimmy Hopkins must deal with each one and systematically conquer them and unite them. Working against him is Gary Smith, who begins the game as an ally, but soon gives into his own paranoia and leads Jimmy into one fix after another. This is not played up much in the storyline but the subtext is clear enough. Despite the misgivings of Gary, Jimmy learns much and gains fighting skills as well as an arsenal of prank based weapons. Most of which can be found lying around campus. Others must be unlocked.

Continuing Experience: Unlocking the rest of the map was quite exciting after having been cooped up on campus. In town much can be had. Everything from new duds to bikes, swag and more hidden items to collect dotted the town. It is kind of like a Jr. version of Vice City but without the tropical locale and guns. But like Vice City one can admire the trophies and mementos collected during the game. There are also new hangouts and save points that can be aquired via challenge missions whereby Jimmy must face each clique and secure a hideout on their respective turfs. It makes it much easier to conduct activity in parts of town that are far away from campus. The public Bus system is also helpful to get back to school in a hurry if needed.

Criticisms: I can understand why the element of it is present in the game. Jimmy isn’t a hardened adult criminal who can stay up for days at a time. He’s a kid who is going to get sleepy. But I just hate passing out in the middle of nowhere and getting robbed. I guess it makes the game more challenging but darn it if it isn’t annoying.

Summary: Upon completing the story missions I am looking to break 100%. Bully is one of the more enjoyable game I have played in a good long while. I know you can’t drive cars in it or fly helicopters, but I can always play Midnight Club or GTA for that. For those who like a great immersive game or are just a fan of Rockstar’s work, this is your game.

Gameplay: Story based wide open action title with beat-em tones.
Graphics: Pretty good. Convincing scenery and decent interactive environment.
Controls: Tricky in the beginning but easy to learn.
JR Score: 7 out of 8

Characterization: Well thought out and immersive gameplay makes this a must have title for anyone who likes wide-open style games that have a hint of good ol’ beat’em up.

--------------------

RonaldKingston
  Post#28 | Feb 27 2019, 10:38 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page

Unregistered

APEX

The new age which brings me from my course work smile.gif

I’ve played a lot of BR games: PUBG, Fortnite, Realm Royale, Battlerite Royale, Blackout, and now Apex Legends.

This is my opinion on Apex Legends: Respawn took all of the best and most innovative game mechanics from other Battle Royale games, and smushed them into one cohesive game.

EDIT: I think it’s pretty clear that this game also feels a lot like Titanfall 2, since it’s developped in the same engine by the same team, but I’m going to focus instead on the game’s influences from its peers in the BR genre.

I think it’s interesting just to take a look at the variety of influences Respawn considered when developing Apex:

Black Ops IV — Enemies drop similar looking loot-boxes, and the looting interface feels very similar.
Battlerite Royale — Resurrection points (you can resurrect dead teammates [provided you take their banner from their corpse] from any of the green map markers), Armor rarity (white→orange), High-loot zones, class-based with cooldowns, and boost locations (in Apex they’re balloons).
PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds — technique for diving [the optimal way in both PUBG and Apex is called ‘wave dropping’ and involves intermittently diving to gain speed, then flattening out to get the most distance, repeatedly.
Realm Royale — lack of parachute, class-based, abilities with cooldowns.
Fortnite — Game’s pace and speed, the strength of close-range weapons, weapon rarity.
And I have to tell you, they did a hell of a job making this mutant of a AAA Battle Royale title into a masterpiece.

You don’t have to sit and watch the whole game from your squadmate’s POV if you die early since there’s a possibility for resurrection.

You can even get back into a game within 10 seconds once you do lose. It feels to me like this game has some serious potential, in terms of entertainment value from streamers playing, and in terms of eSports.

sunnysunny
  Post#29 | Apr 16 2019, 09:09 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page

Unregistered

Hello there, I believe your blog might be having internet browser compatibility problems. Whenever I take a look at your web site in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in IE, it has some overlapping issues. I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Other than that, great site!
run 3

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: