I decided to write down what I wanted to have, and my fingers were in a very good mood
The new Nav column
* The color on the background image behind the text ”Profile” is lighter than the border around the box. Add a fade (best looking) or match the . This is intentional, it is meant to be a shine effect, but perhaps I will make an angle to it to make it more apparent
* The sub-title font ”Featured” could be larger to be easier to read. shall have a play around
* The background of the whole bar looks smooth with it's diagonal scanlines on top of the gradient. Kudos!
In particular the right border of it looks perfect.
* The very left border (background-navbar border) is not only to bright but also to soft. Keep the shadow on the outside, but maybe make the actual border more like the profile box border? Like it looks at the very right border.I don't agree to be honest. I am happy with the borders.
* ”Register” link font color doesn't change on mouse hover. A darker colour should be added. got it
* The border around the profile and menu box is very nice, the rounded corners brings problems with pixelated lines, well spotted, but pretty difficult to get rid of this
if having a pure rectangular box looks to bad, try to fine tune the edges a bit.
The Logo Bar
* The links on the top, just remove them. Have a empty space there, or let the logo touch the very start. this is for SEO purposes. those links alone increased our search engine rankings
* The actual logo don't fit very well with the silver background, I personally liked the old yellow very much and want something similar back, but if you want a more clean layout, please re-do the logo. I disagree to be honest. I much prefer this one. My ethos around this design is to simplfiy the whole skin so that the content is easier to see. The old skin has been confusing alot of people by being too complicated.
* The links (Home – Forums – Submit News) should look more integrated with the rest of the logo / silver gradient.
A different idea would be to make them to look like tabs, and have the selected tab the same colour as the background of the below area. Wouldn't be possible to use the very left area though (because of the nav column)I may have a play around with this
* The new ”Latest forum Posts” feature is a great new thing. Keep it somewhat as it is, maybe have a ”no new posts since last visit” would be possible for us registered users?
And what about a link to the ”Active topics” feature, for a longer list.
* The Diagonal scanlines on the background is too much visible, lower the opacity or re-design this part. Diagonal scanlines don't look that good to be honest. shall have a play with this
* Make the logo a link to the index page! haha fair enough. i'll return that to normal. I always use the home button to be honest, but everyone is different
It deserves those exclamation marks as it's a unwritten standard that almost every site uses, I don't know how many times I clicked there and wonder why nothing happens.
* Home – Forum – Submit News – Profile - Search
- Why is Forums in plural? It's more common to have it in singular.
- Profile. Not very important, use it as a space filler
- Search. I think you know why ;)
* The background on the left and right looks odd, the scan lines and something that looks like floral brushes doesn't fit in my opinion, I would prefer a simpler plain colour, but you might have another ace to finish it off nicely.
* In general so would I advice to take this part back to the drawing table, and think it through how it should look, (doesn't feel that thought thru at the moment)I'm going to play around with this. I actually am on about design number 10 with this, but can kind of see why people don't like it. I did have it as a very bright colour before. Maybe I will try this again and show you guys.
* When pressing the ”Submit news” link, so should you get to a guideline page, and once you clicked on a button like ”I read”, you be taken to a new topic form directly, it would force anyone to read the guidelines as well as not taking more clicks than currently
* I would make the the right bar smaller, and the main wider, to fit with more important content.
I did some math, and I would advice that the bars would be the following width...
160px | 500px | 270px
The nav bar would be kept the same, the main would get larger attention and more freedom when writing the news. The right bar doesn't need to be as wide as it is, polls and the notice messages would easily fit within 260 pixels, as well as 250x250 square advertisements.
Currently when you browse these pages, so have you a large empty area on the right when you scroll down, making the content more vertical would help this drastically.
* The Notice boxes on the right would need to be re-designed, I guess that would be necessary anyways because of the new layout.
* The news boxes should get an darker background, because I think the contrast is to small between the text and the bg, a simple rectangular box would fit nicely, no need for fancy rounded corners.Yeah i have a better design coming for these. Consider unfinished
* I would remove the advertisement banner on the top in favor for one or two advertisements squares in the right bar, it will be less annoying and maybe even yield some more cents. The ad below the GTA IV image can either be widened to a 468x60 ad, or placed on the right column. I'd love to rmove this as well, but I will have to discuss with our marketing guy on this. I doubt we will remove it as it's in the most prominent part of the page and advertisers like this. Removing would probably reduce revenue.
* Make the poll a weekly poll or something like that, there are enough semi-important issues to vote in such a poll, one per week ain't that hard to accomplish and it will look more living, the current poll has been there since 2009...I've changed the main page poll serveral times this year already lol. Unless someone would like to take ownership of changing the poll frequently, I doubt it will get changed weekly.
This is a part of GU that always looked smooth.
* It's a good thing that the gradient in the post area has been removed, makes it slightly easier to focus really.I agree
* The silver bar behind the posts are too bright in my opinion, ligt areas attracts my attention and it's slightly annoying. Shadow would work better there I think.you mean the silver dividing bar?
* The kudos system are gone, was this planned and why if so?Just invisible. Sorry it's complicated getting it to work for a new skin. I'll bring it back as soon as I can.
* Move the Reply and New topic buttons to the same bar as ”1 users are reading...”. And why not put another banner advertisement down there, profit while not being in the way especially much.
* The reply and new topic buttons could be integrated with the where-you-are links, for a smoother look.
* And, the Swedish flag is missing it's border, and the white would be better with a light gray.
* The preview area should look like an actual post, so you can see if a image will stretch the layout or some odd line breaking appears.
* What about a wysiwyg, some may prefer it, some (including me) will stick to a pure text input. It doesn't hurt though