Mark
  Post#1 | Aug 13 2010, 15:00 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Weapon: Shotgun
Member No.: 6,649

seriously, what's up with the skin?

Mark quite rightly brought up his dislikes about the new skin. Please use this thread to give feedback on the new skin and report any bugs. - IKHAM

Laurell
  Post#2 | Aug 13 2010, 15:44 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Minecraft
Weapon: Spear
Member No.: 8,351

It looks like it's a W.I.P

The positive thing I've seen so far is the Latest forum posts on the index page.

And please make the G-Unleashed logo a link to the front page, it's a unwritten web standard.
And while you are at it, widen the News column on the first page, change the ad banner on the top to 1 or 2 ad boxes on the right, and make the right column smaller.

This post has been edited by Laurell: Aug 13 2010, 15:54

--------------------
"meh"

Dragunov
  Post#3 | Aug 13 2010, 16:29 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with your mom
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 1,539

CODE

IPB WARNING [2] ipsclass::require_once(/data/webroot/g-unleashed.com/forums/cache/skin_cache/cacheid_3/skin_kudos.php) [ipsclass.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory (Line: 1371 of /sources/ipsclass.php)

--------------------
IPB Image

"And you know she's really japanese because her genitals produce a force field that pixelates the air around them"

Simon
  Post#4 | Aug 13 2010, 16:32 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: CS:GO, Minecraft
Weapon: Paintball gun
Member No.: 6,748

Yeah I can't see my profile without that too.

--------------------
<!--quoteo(post=168335:date=Jul 9 2008, 15:41 :name=Chaos-Energy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chaos-Energy @ Jul 9 2008, 15:41 ) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Wait till Simon gets here with one of his Viking rage outbursts.

Dragonball characters look like pussies compared to him.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div>

Mark
  Post#5 | Aug 13 2010, 17:37 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Laurell @ Aug 13 2010, 18:44 ) *

It looks like it's a W.I.P

The positive thing I've seen so far is the Latest forum posts on the index page.

And please make the G-Unleashed logo a link to the front page, it's a unwritten web standard.
And while you are at it, widen the News column on the first page, change the ad banner on the top to 1 or 2 ad boxes on the right, and make the right column smaller.

then why the hell someone had to switch to this gay skin if it's wip?

Dragunov
  Post#6 | Aug 13 2010, 18:07 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

I suppose we're all Ikham's beta testers now. We find sh*t that dont work and he fixes it. Hopefully.

--------------------
IPB Image

"And you know she's really japanese because her genitals produce a force field that pixelates the air around them"

IKHAM
  Post#7 | Aug 13 2010, 22:13 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Gears of War
Weapon: Uzi
Member No.: 2

Hey guys.

Yeah I've changed the skin as you can see. I'm sorry that you don't like it so far and thankyou for sharing your opinions Mark, but may I ask you to perhaps deliver your opinion with a little more tact?

Although you got to the point, you haven't really been helpful. Maybe you'd like to express what you don't like about it and offer some constructive criticism? That way your opinion becomes more valuable and also helps the community move forward.

Other than that, I shall be fixing anything I can, so please do report any funky goings on!

Cheers guys. thumbsup.gif

--------------------

Please help me get George the Gorilla to the Jungle >> Let's get George back to the Jungle

Mister V
  Post#8 | Aug 14 2010, 00:07 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

You can switch to the old one if you want, no?

I like the face that it's simple, but the Reply and New Topic buttons (and others) don't seem like they git into the skin (and I've loaded it up in IE to check).
Keeping the lines thin and the gradients smooth is a great idea (it could use more of those silvery thin lines though), but as I had said before, the main logo needs some kind of... inspiration. It's a grey bar right now.
Completely agree with Laurell on the news column width...
Also, if the top panel has these diagonal lines, which I like, shouldn't the bottom part also have them? Otherwise, you know, they just appear in one place, and it's a bit weird.

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

DeWolfe
  Post#9 | Aug 14 2010, 00:31 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Games In Sig
Member No.: 33

ive only got the GU Max skin available

i dont like it because its all been moved about. im not a fan of layout changes on websites

--------------------
IPB Image

Laurell
  Post#10 | Aug 14 2010, 00:53 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Minecraft
Weapon: Spear
Member No.: 8,351

I decided to write down what I wanted to have, and my fingers were in a very good mood tongue.gif

IPB Image
The new Nav column

* The color on the background image behind the text ”Profile” is lighter than the border around the box. Add a fade (best looking) or match the .

* The sub-title font ”Featured” could be larger to be easier to read.

* The background of the whole bar looks smooth with it's diagonal scanlines on top of the gradient. Kudos!

In particular the right border of it looks perfect.

* The very left border (background-navbar border) is not only to bright but also to soft. Keep the shadow on the outside, but maybe make the actual border more like the profile box border? Like it looks at the very right border.

* ”Register” link font color doesn't change on mouse hover. A darker colour should be added.

* The border around the profile and menu box is very nice, the rounded corners brings problems with pixelated lines,

if having a pure rectangular box looks to bad, try to fine tune the edges a bit.

IPB Image
The Logo Bar

* The links on the top, just remove them. Have a empty space there, or let the logo touch the very start.

* The actual logo don't fit very well with the silver background, I personally liked the old yellow very much and want something similar back, but if you want a more clean layout, please re-do the logo.

* The links (Home – Forums – Submit News) should look more integrated with the rest of the logo / silver gradient.
A different idea would be to make them to look like tabs, and have the selected tab the same colour as the background of the below area. Wouldn't be possible to use the very left area though (because of the nav column)

* The new ”Latest forum Posts” feature is a great new thing. Keep it somewhat as it is, maybe have a ”no new posts since last visit” would be possible for us registered users?
And what about a link to the ”Active topics” feature, for a longer list.

* The Diagonal scanlines on the background is too much visible, lower the opacity or re-design this part. Diagonal scanlines don't look that good to be honest.

* Make the logo a link to the index page!
It deserves those exclamation marks as it's a unwritten standard that almost every site uses, I don't know how many times I clicked there and wonder why nothing happens.

* Home – Forum – Submit News – Profile - Search
- Why is Forums in plural? It's more common to have it in singular.
- Profile. Not very important, use it as a space filler tongue.gif
- Search. I think you know why ;)

* The background on the left and right looks odd, the scan lines and something that looks like floral brushes doesn't fit in my opinion, I would prefer a simpler plain colour, but you might have another ace to finish it off nicely.

* In general so would I advice to take this part back to the drawing table, and think it through how it should look, (doesn't feel that thought thru at the moment)

* When pressing the ”Submit news” link, so should you get to a guideline page, and once you clicked on a button like ”I read”, you be taken to a new topic form directly, it would force anyone to read the guidelines as well as not taking more clicks than currently smile.gif

IPB Image
Content Area

* I would make the the right bar smaller, and the main wider, to fit with more important content.

I did some math, and I would advice that the bars would be the following width...
160px | 500px | 270px

The nav bar would be kept the same, the main would get larger attention and more freedom when writing the news. The right bar doesn't need to be as wide as it is, polls and the notice messages would easily fit within 260 pixels, as well as 250x250 square advertisements.
Currently when you browse these pages, so have you a large empty area on the right when you scroll down, making the content more vertical would help this drastically.

* The Notice boxes on the right would need to be re-designed, I guess that would be necessary anyways because of the new layout.

* The news boxes should get an darker background, because I think the contrast is to small between the text and the bg, a simple rectangular box would fit nicely, no need for fancy rounded corners.

* I would remove the advertisement banner on the top in favor for one or two advertisements squares in the right bar, it will be less annoying and maybe even yield some more cents. The ad below the GTA IV image can either be widened to a 468x60 ad, or placed on the right column.

* Make the poll a weekly poll or something like that, there are enough semi-important issues to vote in such a poll, one per week ain't that hard to accomplish and it will look more living, the current poll has been there since 2009...

IPB Image

The Forum

This is a part of GU that always looked smooth.

* It's a good thing that the gradient in the post area has been removed, makes it slightly easier to focus really.

* The silver bar behind the posts are too bright in my opinion, ligt areas attracts my attention and it's slightly annoying. Shadow would work better there I think.

* The kudos system are gone, was this planned and why if so?

* Move the Reply and New topic buttons to the same bar as ”1 users are reading...”. And why not put another banner advertisement down there, profit while not being in the way especially much.

* The reply and new topic buttons could be integrated with the where-you-are links, for a smoother look.

* And, the Swedish flag is missing it's border, and the white would be better with a light gray.

IPB Image

* The preview area should look like an actual post, so you can see if a image will stretch the layout or some odd line breaking appears.

* What about a wysiwyg, some may prefer it, some (including me) will stick to a pure text input. It doesn't hurt though

--------------------
"meh"

Dragunov
  Post#11 | Aug 14 2010, 01:01 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

In the online bar on the bottom there's no space after "topic"

--------------------
IPB Image

JollyRoger
  Post#12 | Aug 14 2010, 01:11 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Member No.: 104

GG: Quite simply you rock. smilie_comp_rhino.gif

Great effort.

--------------------

Chaos-Energy
  Post#13 | Aug 14 2010, 08:56 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Too much
Weapon: Pistol
Member No.: 404

I don't really mind the skin but as you can see by GG's post, there's still some work to do.

Mark
  Post#14 | Aug 14 2010, 09:03 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(IKHAM @ Aug 14 2010, 01:13 ) *

Hey guys.

Yeah I've changed the skin as you can see. I'm sorry that you don't like it so far and thankyou for sharing your opinions Mark, but may I ask you to perhaps deliver your opinion with a little more tact?

Although you got to the point, you haven't really been helpful. Maybe you'd like to express what you don't like about it and offer some constructive criticism? That way your opinion becomes more valuable and also helps the community move forward.

Other than that, I shall be fixing anything I can, so please do report any funky goings on!

Cheers guys. thumbsup.gif

excuse me for not putting efforts in my posts seeing as i was drinking all day yesterday but i'll try to sum it up a bit:
1) the skin got changed and we can't switch to the old one, there isn't any option in my profile to do so, and yet, the skin is currently bugged without any notices, what would visitors think? that the site is still wip?
2) as you can see, the colors are messed up. i personally dont like that now the default white has been changed to gold, for example, bold: test
3) the buttons don't fit this skin
4) the mini profile on the left is not looking good as well, in my opinion it should be displayed like it was with the "old" skin
5) where would you put kudos report anyway with this skin?
6) what golden gun summed up

on a side note - since there is a skin selector, could we still have the option to switch back to the old one, but default stays what it currently is?

Chaos-Energy
  Post#15 | Aug 14 2010, 11:47 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Editing your signature is messed up as well. Seems like it shows the code to post a new post and at the end your actual signature code.

IKHAM
  Post#16 | Aug 14 2010, 12:10 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Thanks for your feedback. Lot's of excellent points here. I've made notes below in green.

QUOTE(Laurell @ Aug 14 2010, 01:53 ) *

I decided to write down what I wanted to have, and my fingers were in a very good mood tongue.gif

IPB Image
The new Nav column

* The color on the background image behind the text ”Profile” is lighter than the border around the box. Add a fade (best looking) or match the .
This is intentional, it is meant to be a shine effect, but perhaps I will make an angle to it to make it more apparent
* The sub-title font ”Featured” could be larger to be easier to read.
shall have a play around
* The background of the whole bar looks smooth with it's diagonal scanlines on top of the gradient. Kudos!

In particular the right border of it looks perfect.
* The very left border (background-navbar border) is not only to bright but also to soft. Keep the shadow on the outside, but maybe make the actual border more like the profile box border? Like it looks at the very right border.
I don't agree to be honest. I am happy with the borders.
* ”Register” link font color doesn't change on mouse hover. A darker colour should be added.
got it
* The border around the profile and menu box is very nice, the rounded corners brings problems with pixelated lines,
well spotted, but pretty difficult to get rid of this

if having a pure rectangular box looks to bad, try to fine tune the edges a bit.

IPB Image
The Logo Bar
* The links on the top, just remove them. Have a empty space there, or let the logo touch the very start.
this is for SEO purposes. those links alone increased our search engine rankings
* The actual logo don't fit very well with the silver background, I personally liked the old yellow very much and want something similar back, but if you want a more clean layout, please re-do the logo.
I disagree to be honest. I much prefer this one. My ethos around this design is to simplfiy the whole skin so that the content is easier to see. The old skin has been confusing alot of people by being too complicated.

* The links (Home – Forums – Submit News) should look more integrated with the rest of the logo / silver gradient.
A different idea would be to make them to look like tabs, and have the selected tab the same colour as the background of the below area. Wouldn't be possible to use the very left area though (because of the nav column)
I may have a play around with this

* The new ”Latest forum Posts” feature is a great new thing. Keep it somewhat as it is, maybe have a ”no new posts since last visit” would be possible for us registered users?
And what about a link to the ”Active topics” feature, for a longer list.
* The Diagonal scanlines on the background is too much visible, lower the opacity or re-design this part. Diagonal scanlines don't look that good to be honest.
shall have a play with this

* Make the logo a link to the index page! haha fair enough. i'll return that to normal. I always use the home button to be honest, but everyone is different
It deserves those exclamation marks as it's a unwritten standard that almost every site uses, I don't know how many times I clicked there and wonder why nothing happens.

* Home – Forum – Submit News – Profile - Search
- Why is Forums in plural? It's more common to have it in singular.
- Profile. Not very important, use it as a space filler tongue.gif
- Search. I think you know why ;)

* The background on the left and right looks odd, the scan lines and something that looks like floral brushes doesn't fit in my opinion, I would prefer a simpler plain colour, but you might have another ace to finish it off nicely.
* In general so would I advice to take this part back to the drawing table, and think it through how it should look, (doesn't feel that thought thru at the moment)
I'm going to play around with this. I actually am on about design number 10 with this, but can kind of see why people don't like it. I did have it as a very bright colour before. Maybe I will try this again and show you guys.
* When pressing the ”Submit news” link, so should you get to a guideline page, and once you clicked on a button like ”I read”, you be taken to a new topic form directly, it would force anyone to read the guidelines as well as not taking more clicks than currently smile.gif

IPB Image
Content Area

* I would make the the right bar smaller, and the main wider, to fit with more important content.

I did some math, and I would advice that the bars would be the following width...
160px | 500px | 270px

The nav bar would be kept the same, the main would get larger attention and more freedom when writing the news. The right bar doesn't need to be as wide as it is, polls and the notice messages would easily fit within 260 pixels, as well as 250x250 square advertisements.
Currently when you browse these pages, so have you a large empty area on the right when you scroll down, making the content more vertical would help this drastically.
* The Notice boxes on the right would need to be re-designed, I guess that would be necessary anyways because of the new layout.

* The news boxes should get an darker background, because I think the contrast is to small between the text and the bg, a simple rectangular box would fit nicely, no need for fancy rounded corners.
Yeah i have a better design coming for these. Consider unfinished

* I would remove the advertisement banner on the top in favor for one or two advertisements squares in the right bar, it will be less annoying and maybe even yield some more cents. The ad below the GTA IV image can either be widened to a 468x60 ad, or placed on the right column.
I'd love to rmove this as well, but I will have to discuss with our marketing guy on this. I doubt we will remove it as it's in the most prominent part of the page and advertisers like this. Removing would probably reduce revenue.
* Make the poll a weekly poll or something like that, there are enough semi-important issues to vote in such a poll, one per week ain't that hard to accomplish and it will look more living, the current poll has been there since 2009...
I've changed the main page poll serveral times this year already lol. Unless someone would like to take ownership of changing the poll frequently, I doubt it will get changed weekly.
IPB Image

The Forum

This is a part of GU that always looked smooth.

* It's a good thing that the gradient in the post area has been removed, makes it slightly easier to focus really.
I agree

* The silver bar behind the posts are too bright in my opinion, ligt areas attracts my attention and it's slightly annoying. Shadow would work better there I think.
you mean the silver dividing bar?

* The kudos system are gone, was this planned and why if so?
Just invisible. Sorry it's complicated getting it to work for a new skin. I'll bring it back as soon as I can.

* Move the Reply and New topic buttons to the same bar as ”1 users are reading...”. And why not put another banner advertisement down there, profit while not being in the way especially much.

* The reply and new topic buttons could be integrated with the where-you-are links, for a smoother look.

* And, the Swedish flag is missing it's border, and the white would be better with a light gray.

IPB Image

* The preview area should look like an actual post, so you can see if a image will stretch the layout or some odd line breaking appears.

* What about a wysiwyg, some may prefer it, some (including me) will stick to a pure text input. It doesn't hurt though

--------------------

Please help me get George the Gorilla to the Jungle >> Let's get George back to the Jungle

Dragunov
  Post#17 | Aug 14 2010, 13:06 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Addressing design ideas while disregarding bugs. You wouldn't make for a good developer bleh.gif

Oh while we''re at bugs, some of the multi-page threads have unclickable titles.

--------------------
IPB Image

IKHAM
  Post#18 | Aug 14 2010, 14:06 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

I'm not disregarding bugs mate. In fact I fixed the control panel last night.

Ok i've had a re hash of the banner based on feedback received so far. Screenshot attached.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Simon
  Post#19 | Aug 14 2010, 14:52 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: CS:GO, Minecraft
Weapon: Paintball gun
Member No.: 6,748

Everytime I go into Forum Games and press latest page in the shoutbox, a little window with attachments show up. blink.gif And Ive noticed that I cant see my post count, or anyones post count as a matter of fact, I dont know if you want it like that or if its unintentional, but anyways, looking good so far, you're doing a great job man. thumbsup.gif
Keep up the good work! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Simon: Aug 14 2010, 14:52

--------------------
<!--quoteo(post=168335:date=Jul 9 2008, 15:41 :name=Chaos-Energy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chaos-Energy @ Jul 9 2008, 15:41 ) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Wait till Simon gets here with one of his Viking rage outbursts.

Dragonball characters look like pussies compared to him.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div>

Mark
  Post#20 | Aug 14 2010, 15:12 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(IKHAM @ Aug 14 2010, 17:06 ) *

I'm not disregarding bugs mate. In fact I fixed the control panel last night.

Ok i've had a re hash of the banner based on feedback received so far. Screenshot attached.

i have to take some of my words back and admit that the banner is looking nice. though, since there's a lot of space, could you rename the featured games like from gta vc to gta vice city etc.

oh and a side note - could someone change this thread's title to something constructive please tongue.gif

IKHAM
  Post#21 | Aug 14 2010, 15:19 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

That's more like it mark. I'm not against criticism, in fact I welcome it, because it pushes me further. Sometimes when you work on something for a long time, you need other people to point out things that are really obvious.

We'll get it looking nice eventually.

Ok had a play with some ideas for the forums.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

Dragunov
  Post#22 | Aug 14 2010, 15:58 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Are we aiming to look like an iPhone app?

I definitely prefer the orange stuff on the screenshot.

--------------------
IPB Image

Chaos-Energy
  Post#23 | Aug 14 2010, 23:36 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Signature thingie isn't fixed though, not sure if you included that in your CP fixing. As for the preview, I like everything except the orange banner. =(

Dragunov
  Post#24 | Aug 15 2010, 00:18 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Maybe if it didn't extend past the border of the index?

--------------------
IPB Image

Alisbet
  Post#25 | Aug 15 2010, 07:58 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Weapon: Flower
Member No.: 11,846

I think that this new skin is really awful for the lack of better words. I wish that you could have done something better.

--------------------
Power of People is Stronger than People in Power.

DeWolfe
  Post#26 | Aug 15 2010, 09:02 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Games In Sig
Member No.: 33

name change pete or is that a bug?

--------------------
IPB Image

IKHAM
  Post#27 | Aug 15 2010, 11:12 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Alisbet @ Aug 15 2010, 08:58 ) *

I think that this new skin is really awful for the lack of better words. I wish that you could have done something better.

I'm sorry you don't like it. Have you had a look at the new designs in the posts above? What are you're thoughts on these?

Some more work on the template.
Attached Image

--------------------

Mark
  Post#28 | Aug 15 2010, 12:49 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

why is the niko picture next to the logo...

Dragunov
  Post#29 | Aug 15 2010, 12:55 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(DeWolfe @ Aug 15 2010, 09:02 ) *

name change pete or is that a bug?

Oh sh*t, that's a bug. Also the names aren't clickable...

--------------------
IPB Image

IKHAM
  Post#30 | Aug 15 2010, 14:57 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Mark @ Aug 15 2010, 13:49 ) *

why is the niko picture next to the logo...

Because we are a gta website. Although we cater for other games, 90% of the site traffic is gta related.

--------------------

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: