>  NHL and Hockey

ringwraith
  Post#31 | Jan 29 2005, 05:12 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Weapon: Sword
Member No.: 97

Do you mean replacement players? They've talked about it, but I doubt it would happen. Who's going to pay as much as people pay to see NHL games if you're not seeing Joe Sakic, Martin Brodeur or whoever play for your favourite team. There is still plenty of hockey being played in Canada and the US right now, just not at the same calibre as the big league. Just go see an AHL game, all the young players who are going to make the NHL someday are playing there.

But it's just not the same as seeing the Detroit Red Wings play the Toronto Maple Leafs with all the stars on the ice.

This post has been edited by ringwraith: Feb 2 2005, 15:41

--------------------

DyingAlive
  Post#32 | Jan 29 2005, 07:02 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 4

Ya thats going to be cool tongue.gif

Finally got to watch some hockey today! College hockey NMU vs MU
good game till it was 4-1

--------------------
IPB Image

ringwraith
  Post#33 | Feb 3 2005, 05:57 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

I heard the NHL and Player's Association have been talking but not getting much done. Word is the latest meeting only lasted 2 hours and as soon as the NHL mentioned a salary cap, the PA said they wanted nothing to do with it. I think they're going to meet one more time tomorrow. We'll see if they blow the whole thing off soon or not.

--------------------

Meldince
  Post#34 | Feb 3 2005, 20:44 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Halo 2//TO:KOL
Idiot Mod
Member No.: 6

there will be no season this year
doubtful for next year

the players don't want to make a simple 1-3 million per season. Come on, most people don't see 1mill over their entire life time.
f****** greedy bastards if you ask me.

--------------------
A Force To Be Reckoned With
IPB Image
Mission Guide Now Up!

IPB Image

ringwraith
  Post#35 | Feb 5 2005, 05:33 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

I still can't bring myself to really agree with the player's position.

They talked for another four hours of intense meeting, today, but got nowhere and talks are over.

When you read this stuff from nohockey.ca, it's not promising.

The lockout, which reached its 142nd day Friday, has forced the cancellation of 775 of the 1,230 regular-season games. In fact, during the last two days of talks alone, 13 games flew out the window.

The sticking point remains the same since talks began in January 2003. The league wants a salary cap system that links player costs with revenues. The union insists it will never play under such a system.

The league did soften its stance Wednesday, compared to its Dec. 14 offer, re-introducing salary arbitration, offering joint audit of team finances with stiff penalties for the cheaters, profit-sharing with the players, dropping the unrestricted free agency age to 30 from 31, and adding an owner-player council which would together decided ways to improve the on-ice product.

But the salary cap remained a huge obstacle.

--------------------

JollyRoger
  Post#36 | Feb 5 2005, 18:23 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Meldince @ Feb 3 2005, 11:44 )
there will be no season this year
doubtful for next year

the players don't want to make a simple 1-3 million per season. Come on, most people don't see 1mill over their entire life time.
f****** greedy bastards if you ask me.

A lot of these guys are full of themselves. They get the special treatment from their posse and fans and the media too. It's no wonder these *ahem* "Sportsmen" think they should have the bigger slice of pie. I think somebody should remind them that they play a game on TV for a living. Glitzy and exciting but no more complicated than being a regular contestant on Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? And who wants to? Well obviously these guys do. These guys who profess a blue collar heritage but act like country club Fops who think they can't raise a few young'ns on a mid level NHL salary.

"But I got bills to pay, kids to raise, wife/s to bribe, and payments on my fifth jet ski to make. How do you expect me to do all that on a measly 800K a year?"

blink.gif WTF???!

People have done more than they do for exponentially less money. Have some freaking balls you primping prima donna pussies! Make your dollar matter for cripes freaking sake. Who do you think you are?!

300 dollars for a freaking game ticket? Unfreaking real!

Arrrr Matey! Before this lockout ends the Cap'n wants to see some big bloated heads roll. fury.gif

--------------------

Meldince
  Post#37 | Feb 5 2005, 19:21 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Idiot Mod

I made $15,000CDN (Less in USD) last year. I hate that kind of talk about bills and crap with their millions per year "jobs"

cripes I barely make it by, can't save anything up, and now because I can't save anything, I'm about to lose house and home.

f*** YOU PLAYERS!

--------------------
IPB Image
Mission Guide Now Up!

IPB Image

DyingAlive
  Post#38 | Feb 5 2005, 20:53 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

It's actually kind of sad. I've heard stories of people that work at the stadiums and getting layed off from work. It's affecting peoples lives. People who need to provide for their family..

--------------------
IPB Image

ringwraith
  Post#39 | Feb 6 2005, 00:53 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Yes it is especially affecting people who work at arenas. There is a trickle down effect which is hurting many local vendors, advertising and probably tourism as well, in Toronto.

CBC Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night has been playing movies to fill the void of the usual back to back games, but their ratings have been dropping too.

I wonder what the actual effect is on charities. Most of the hockey players around here are well known for making donations. Although they're probably still keeping up appearances, with nothing else to do, I would think they wouldn't be as generous as normal, without a salary.

Then again, I'm sure some of those top players could spare some of their 10 mil that they earned last season.

--------------------

JollyRoger
  Post#40 | Feb 8 2005, 11:47 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(ringwraith @ Feb 5 2005, 15:53 )
Yes it is especially affecting people who work at arenas.  There is a trickle down effect which is hurting many local vendors, advertising and probably tourism as well, in Toronto.

CBC Hockey Night in Canada on Saturday night has been playing movies to fill the void of the usual back to back games, but their ratings have been dropping too.

I wonder what the actual effect is on charities.  Most of the hockey players around here are well known for making donations.  Although they're probably still keeping up appearances, with nothing else to do, I would think they wouldn't be as generous as normal, without a salary.

Then again, I'm sure some of those top players could spare some of their 10 mil that they earned last season.

Fox Sports Southwest has taken it apon themselves to play old Stars games in a show they call The Ultimate Dallas Stars Collection. What it is is a collection of old games I can barely even remember happening. Why? Because I feel as if I being screwed here. And that makes the memory of good things a bit hazy.

Instead of treating us to old games FSSW should get a freaking clue and air AHL, Central League, or even heavens forbid College games instead. Anything is better than trying to re-live some kind of yesteryear of a bygone era when the Stars actually played like they had their heads OUTSIDE of their asses.

It would give fans a chance to see live hockey played by guys who make the same kind of money, more or less, that they do. Real blue collar players in other words.

I'd love to see an image of Eric Lindros sharpening skates between periods for extra money. Or Jaromir Jagr working at a public skate to pay his bills. Thats what real players do. CONTRIBUTE. I can't tell you how many minor pro guys I've talked to that bust their ass for an extra nickle and dime. I guess the pros forget what that's like. I wonder if it's raining up on their high horse. We're in a fog of bullshit down here.

This post has been edited by JollyRoger: Feb 8 2005, 11:48

--------------------

ringwraith
  Post#41 | Feb 9 2005, 05:00 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

So true.

Actually we're kind of lucky up here in the Great White North, we do get to see some OHL games. It's not the same intensity of the pros, but those are the proving grounds that real players who don't have egos, the size of their wallets play.

When the season was first supposed to start back in the fall, CBC did air some classic games like the Oilers in one of the 80's cup finals, and a good game seven with the Leafs against Boston. But they just ended up playing movies for whatever reason.

From what I've been hearing on the radio here, there are a lot of people who are talking about the players in the same kind of way.

I mean a lot of these guys make more in a week than most people do in a year, so it's pretty hard to think of them as anything close to grass roots. They may be hard working, but they sure make the coin to make it all too easy.

From the reports I've heard, it sounds like there had better be a deal very soon or it's over for a very long time. The chances of getting anything done over the summer are slim to none.

This post has been edited by ringwraith: Feb 9 2005, 16:33

--------------------

DyingAlive
  Post#42 | Feb 9 2005, 05:48 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

The players should be gracious to play in the NHL cause I mean thousands of people would love to play for any amount of money.. sleep.gif

News: ESPN will be showing AHL games starting in late Feb. smile.gif
Go Sound Tigers!!

--------------------
IPB Image

JollyRoger
  Post#43 | Feb 11 2005, 21:22 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

In late Feb? Man those guys waited kind of late to start chomping at that bit. That's freaking sad man. SAD. If these networks had any brians they would have already had minor pro and/or college games already airing. This is nearsighted panic play. And it's very amusing. In a sad pathetic way that is.

It should be an understood and accepted contingency plan that minor pro and/or college games be aired in the absence of NHL games. I'm sure I'll catch a few games on the tube, but it's too late for me to consider it redeemable.

Too slow on the trigger ESPN. Too slow.

--------------------

Meldince
  Post#44 | Feb 11 2005, 21:26 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Idiot Mod

I'd watch WHL games :/

--------------------
IPB Image
Mission Guide Now Up!

IPB Image

DyingAlive
  Post#45 | Feb 11 2005, 23:37 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Im just happy ESPN is showing it. With all the sporting events that they show you should be happy they are showing AHL Hockey

--------------------
IPB Image

ringwraith
  Post#46 | Feb 12 2005, 05:59 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Pretty much a done (no) deal state of the nhl

I think they should have an arbitrator give an unbiased appraisal of the situation. There is a lot of money to be made from the game at that level.

--------------------

DyingAlive
  Post#47 | Feb 12 2005, 06:00 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

149 days and climbing cry.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

JollyRoger
  Post#48 | Feb 17 2005, 11:42 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(DyingAlive @ Feb 11 2005, 21:00 )
149 days and climbing  cry.gif

It's official!!!!!!

The Season Is DEAD!!!!!

Stick a fork in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

woot.gif

Bettman Declares NHL Season KAPUT!!

--------------------

vichanic2
  Post#49 | Jun 16 2019, 12:59 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 29,488

ВБог183.4экспpersNatuStevShadLaurГущеСедовекаУчасFranвоспFlorCurvShowРыжоградJean
NorbGothTescC123MetaСодечастЛермполуWoodSkylGangПавлMarlСазорабоCalvErleинстFran
RobeСафр40342535JameФаерGrimПогрLateЯнчеКвитэкзеСэпеNURBHenrОгиеНазаSelaДетскарм
NeriтелеELEGГалкJayaRobe1962SieLCamiРуноJuliремеNikiHarrЗадиЛемаJohnPorcМоиссере
MiyoGUESXVIIJeweВороJohaкомпМихаMaurНовиГусеXVIIназоZoneJohnчитаСодеZone3110Zone
ZoneDougZoneZoneZoneZoneZoneфианZoneZoneZonePlayChetZoneZoneZoneфоноПатиMFD-гран
BillWhirJanoLewiпласFirsначипросКоршBOEGPoweИльюКитаCHEVPROTThisдетеVocaтекс3332
MicrтемакрасискуизобWindWindWindкартKenwValeChouWhisБелокнигШестЛитРWindУстеЛитР
ЛитРКоноЗверкнигвитаPeteАлпеПетрOmarthisЯцевDeadKladЗайчKMFD1930ветсЗабепансотды
OpenMarkTakiмежддетеВялкСолепрепМакеЦыфеGretBlazпридAnitхудоХрусНовиребеВахнписа
МораМалаРомаSheiАльбMFD-MFD-MFD-foamразнродиНекрLighКрупКавеRobeЛаврStevОрлоPenn
ДомаКузн

2 User(s) are reading this topic:

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: