IKHAM
  Post#1 | May 20 2010, 19:57 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Playing: Gears of War
Weapon: Uzi
Member No.: 2

So at the moment i'm looking for a car to buy. My favourite choices are a Citroen Saxo 1.6 VTR and a Ford Puma.

I've been looking at lots over the past couple of weeks. Last week I spent the day driving a few saxos. First one was ok, but the clutch felt dodgy. 2nd one i liked alot and the 3rd one just felt plain wrong. So I pretty much decided i'd go for the 2nd one.

Did a HPI check on it, and it turned out the car had been written off in January. JOY! No thankyou mr, i'm not into buying buggered cars.

This week I found a nice white puma. Test drove it and loved it. I'm still debating whether to get that one or not, but if I do, i'll forever have to put up with mates telling me I'm driving a girls car. Well i don't really care about that too much, but might get quite annoying in a while.

Today I test drove two more saxos from the same garage. I was dead interested in the black one until the car dealer made a fatal mistake. Having driven it, i noticed it sounded different to all the other saxos I had driven and also was a bit more powerful. So I asked the dealer if it had been modified in any way.

"No, no, no. Not modified! Look the exhaust is the standard type." he pointed out.

True enough, it was the standard exhaust, but I thought i'd try looking at the engine anyway, as you do. After lifting the bonnet and taking a quick look at the engine, something looked odd about the engine that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Everything was there, so to speak, but something seemed missing or different. Then I noticed the air filter was different. A modified air filter. The reason for overly loud engine and extra power.

"Is'nt that a modified filter?" I asked

A moments silence from the dealer and then "... oh there's a nice air filter in there. We can switch that with a standard filter"

Indeed he could, but the fact he had completely lied about the car being modified was enough to ring the alarm bells. It meant that anything the dealer had said about the car was probably false. After further discussion with my friend who had accompanied me, it was clear that this dealer was trying to pull the wool over my eyes and was a little TOO eager to sell me the car.

Shame, but I believe I walked away from a car that could have been my worst nightmare.

Hopefully I won't have too many more experiences like this, but I'll post more updates as they come.

--------------------

Please help me get George the Gorilla to the Jungle >> [url=http://www.justgiving.com/georgeinthejungle]Let's get George back to the Jungle[/url]

DeWolfe
  Post#2 | May 20 2010, 21:17 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Games In Sig
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 33

Right, Im the man for this!

How much is your budget?
Is insurance an issue?
What do you want from the car?
How much driving will you be doing?
Doors? Petrol or derv?

I lol'd when you said you liked a Saxo VTR. they're crap. The VTS (like mine) is better in everyway coolio.gif

I'll bet most people suggest a BMW. You don't need me to tell you that BMW drivers are c0cks 9 times out of 10.

IPB Image

^ thats mine atm. Looking at cams and a standalone ECU in a months time, then onto throttlebodies! woot.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

Dragunov
  Post#3 | May 20 2010, 22:04 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with your mom
Member No.: 1,539

Dewolfe, seeing as he's looking for an unmodified saxo and you're pimping the sh*t out of yours, saying that you're the man for this seems a bit ironic even though it might very well be true.

To be fair though, as far as i know an aftermarket air filter isn't a modification. It's a part that's designed to be replaceable, not being a car guy myself i'd compare them to tyres. No big deal you really can just pop in a standard one so as long as the rest of the car is A-OK i see no reason why you'd skip it. As for the dealer lying to you, still being a layman i'd say this is such a small thing he really might have considered the car to be in stock condition and didn't realize you're so anal about it.

This is by far not advice, as i don't know the first thing about buying used cars, just my opinion on the whole 'lie' thing.

This post has been edited by Dragunov: May 20 2010, 22:05

--------------------
IPB Image

"And you know she's really japanese because her genitals produce a force field that pixelates the air around them"

DeWolfe
  Post#4 | May 20 2010, 22:31 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Yeah an after market part is a modification, or anything to improve the looks or performance is also considered this.

True, I have modified mine, still a heck of a lot of standard cars available Id recommend. Id be looking at a Integra DC5, Ibiza Cupra, Clio 197, etc etc

--------------------
IPB Image

Dragunov
  Post#5 | May 21 2010, 10:30 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(DeWolfe @ May 20 2010, 22:31 ) *

Yeah an after market part is a modification, or anything to improve the looks or performance is also considered this.

So high quality petrol and good tyres are also modifications?

Even though those are consumables just like a filter?

--------------------
IPB Image

"And you know she's really japanese because her genitals produce a force field that pixelates the air around them"

IKHAM
  Post#6 | May 21 2010, 10:33 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Yeah I don't want a modified car.

How much is your budget?
Less that 2000

Is insurance an issue?
Yes cheap insurance.

What do you want from the car?
Fun mostly that is cheap to run.

How much driving will you be doing?
Not a huge amount. Mostly at the weekend and when i have to pop out to see friends.

Doors? Petrol or derv?
not bothered.

I simply did not want to buy off him, because there was no respect for the way he was trying to sell the car. I prefer to reward genuine people for their honesty and also I can trust that the i'm not buying a car that is going to fall apart a month later.

--------------------

Please help me get George the Gorilla to the Jungle >> [url=http://www.justgiving.com/georgeinthejungle]Let's get George back to the Jungle[/url]

Nico
  Post#7 | May 22 2010, 10:07 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

THE REVIVALATOR
Member No.: 18

QUOTE(DeWolfe @ May 20 2010, 23:17 ) *
BMW drivers are c0cks 9 times out of 10.
Truth. But that doesn't make them bad cars.

IPB Image
Toyota Starlet. Cheap as ****, but it'll run forever.

--------------------
TNENIMMI SI LAVIVER UG
Nico's the name, bumping's the game

JollyRoger
  Post#8 | May 22 2010, 19:50 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Nico @ May 22 2010, 05:07 ) *

Truth. But that doesn't make them bad cars.

Toyota Starlet. Cheap as ****, but it'll run forever.

In the States it's the Porsche drivers who are characterized as d icks. 9 times out of ten it's accurate. I've only known of one Porsche driver who wasn't a raging ass****. He was however, a douchebag.

I've been driving a 1991 Geo Prizm for 14 years and it still runs well. Unlike the Corsica I drove the previous three which crapped out on me.

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#9 | May 22 2010, 20:58 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

Wow, a reliable Chevrolet? *shock*
Nico's choice looks like the most... neutral one. And I think I've seen a Ford Puma only once of twice in my life.

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

IKHAM
  Post#10 | May 23 2010, 21:04 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

The toyota Starlet would be a completely and utterly sensible car to go for. Unfortunately, nothing about me is sensible, so i'll not be going for that one, although thankyou for suggestion.

i'll be checking out a few cars this week hopefully. Fingers crossed I find a good one.

--------------------

IKHAM
  Post#11 | May 25 2010, 14:05 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Wen't to see a puma this lunch. Actually liked it and it was quite good condition, however it was over my budget of 2000. Although the dealer knocked it down to 2300, that's still over by quite a bit. I also noticed that the gear box had oil on the bottom of it. No dripping, but it definitely looked like it might have had a small leak there.

Very tempting car though, but I'll keep searching.

--------------------

DeWolfe
  Post#12 | May 25 2010, 18:19 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

With your budget you'll only find high mileage rot boxes or small hatches so you'll get chavs wanting to race. If I were you, start looking at Peugeot 306 1.9 TD.

Yes I know its French but it will go on and on and is almost bullet proof. You can get them very cheap so will leave you with plenty of spare cash in your pocket too wink.gif

Dont forget Pistonheads or the local small ads too, there's more than AutoTrader. Avoid eBay, but use it for parts!

Best thing to do is go out and take 2 or 3 on a test drive, or read some reliable reviews (i.e. Parkers).

What happened to the Fiesta you used to own?

--------------------
IPB Image

IKHAM
  Post#13 | May 26 2010, 08:13 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Didn't know about piston heads. I'll check them out. A friend of mine had a peugeot 306. The amount of trouble she had with it is enough to put me off them.

That and the fact that I once told my flat mate I would never buy a 'sh*tty peugeot' in a argument about whose car was better haha. I have to stick to my word or i'll never hear the end of it. tongue.gif

I know i'm not going to get a perfect car, but I still think the one yesterday was over priced looking at what else is available.

--------------------

DeWolfe
  Post#14 | May 26 2010, 12:08 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

You could register on Pistonheads too and ask for opinions. The members have a nice range of cars on there too. Some have Lambo's, Posches's etc right down to Skodas and Peugeots and are very down to earth so dont be put off smile.gif

Or you could look at VW Golf or Polo but IMO they are very 'boring' and the owners are usually very snobbish towards other car makes.

This post has been edited by DeWolfe: May 26 2010, 12:10

--------------------
IPB Image

Mister V
  Post#15 | May 29 2010, 10:13 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Maybe because they're more or less recognised as the best cars of that class? An old Golf is one of few old cars I wouldn't be ashamed to own. It still looks classy (provided it's in good condition, of course).

--------------------
IPB Image

DeWolfe
  Post#16 | May 29 2010, 11:46 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

VR6 mmm

a mate had onein his Vento, pretty good down the strip at Santa Pod. He could only get like 8 mpg fromit so sold it lol

--------------------
IPB Image

IKHAM
  Post#17 | May 29 2010, 21:20 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

I have bought a car tongue.gif

Yes i've finally done it and completely surprised myself as I've bought something I hadn't even considered. I wandered off to a couple of garages near my house. I spotted a saxo vtr that I had not seen online. 2,200 and 65,000 on the clock.

I thought it was expensive but thought maybe it was in excellent quality so I took it for a test drive. Well, to be honest it rattled and shaked and there was definitely a knocking noise every time i went round a corner. Some serious problems with the suspension i'm pretty sure.

I know it's an old car, but for the price that is seriously over priced imo. Just didn't feel in very good condition. So I walked away from that one.

Anyway, next door I spotted a lovely blue Seat Leon. It jumped out at me straight away. 1,995, 84k on the clock, 2001 model, 1.6 engine.

Took it for a test drive and instantly felt at home in it. The build quality was 10 times better than the saxo. Powerful enough for me, responsive and very comfortable to drive. It was pretty much a no brainer. Fun to drive and with VW reliability I couldn't say no. I managed to knock the dealer down to 1,900 because it doesn't have a full service history and that is about 300 less than it's book price, so I think i've come away with a good deal.

I'll post some pics soon (when it's sunnier). But it's lovely and am very happy with it. It might not be the sporty car I intended to buy, but I think this was the right choice. smile.gif

--------------------

DeWolfe
  Post#18 | May 30 2010, 01:10 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

good choice tbh

vtr was overpriced and sounds like a dog, id guess it was track rod ends and/or drop links

leon's are known for drinking oil so defo make sure you keep an eye on that, dont want it going bang! wink.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

Dragunov
  Post#19 | May 30 2010, 11:47 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(IKHAM @ May 29 2010, 21:20 ) *
(when it's sunnier).

Is that pretty much the UK version of saying "when red snow falls"?

--------------------
IPB Image

IKHAM
  Post#20 | May 30 2010, 14:42 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Yeah pretty much. You might be waiting a while haha.

--------------------

Nico
  Post#21 | May 31 2010, 20:25 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

THE REVIVALATOR

We ain't waiting. Post now dude, who cares if the sun is or is not shining on your beautiful Spanish paintjob tongue.gif

--------------------
TNENIMMI SI LAVIVER UG

Nico
  Post#22 | Jun 13 2010, 20:06 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

THE REVIVALATOR

I'm still waiting/for some car pictures/to come into this thread whistling.gif

--------------------
TNENIMMI SI LAVIVER UG

IKHAM
  Post#23 | Jun 19 2010, 17:37 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Ah balls! Totally forgot lol. Here it is.

IPB Image

IPB Image

--------------------

Dragunov
  Post#24 | Jun 19 2010, 17:41 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Hey, an MX5

--------------------
IPB Image

DeWolfe
  Post#25 | Jun 20 2010, 01:10 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

i like

--------------------
IPB Image

Chaos-Energy
  Post#26 | Jun 20 2010, 07:35 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Too much
Weapon: Pistol
Member No.: 404

Looks nice, not a fan of the color though. Have fun with it.

IKHAM
  Post#27 | Jun 21 2010, 18:24 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Thanks. Well funnily enough, the colour made it stand out to me. I may in the future get some nicer alloys for this, but we'll see if I get any extra pocket money smile.gif

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#28 | Jun 22 2010, 17:28 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

For all that my praise is worth, I like it, Ikham tongue.gif It looks the most respectable out of those you've showed us. Colour's nice, too.

--------------------
IPB Image

Themmost
  Post#29 | Mar 11 2019, 15:07 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Weapon: Unarmed
Member No.: 25,227

You have chosen good and low-end models for purchase. However, they are not so new, and when searching, it is necessary to build on the necessary checks before buying, if it is a used machine. What state are you from? You need to check 3 important points - the history of accidents and the operation of the machine, as well as VIN check or decoder. I ask for help at https://www.faxvin.com/vin-check/florida for I am in Florida. If you are from another state, you can quickly select another city.

2 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: