Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Your Kudos
Your Kudos Ranking --

Reply to this topicStart new topic
>  Your Opinion?, 100% financing of private schools

The government to fully finance (average) private schools...
Smart idea?
Yes [ 1 ] ** [12.50%]
No [ 5 ] ** [62.50%]
Don't know, don't care [ 2 ] ** [25.00%]
Total Votes: 8
Guests cannot vote 

Ribon
  Post#1 | Oct 3 2007, 00:46 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Playing: Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Weapon: Water Bomb
Member No.: 249

Sometimes I wonder what I did wrong to deserve to live in such a sh*tty country. The country, which is being run by total imbeciles, has the highest inflation in the entire EU (not to mention EXTREMELY low pays - 700/month average, excluding tax) and the government acts like this is 1500. The Coalition don't EVER listen to ANY of the opinions stated by the Opposition and behave like they had a totalitarian regime or something.

To cut things short, I just wanted to see your opinion on a certain issue we're dealing with atm. Some days ago, the government suggested that a new law should be accepted. A law which would enable every child to attend primary and secondary schools without having to pay school-fee. The Coalition has stated that "children who are attending private schools are being discriminated upon because they have to pay a certain amount of school-fee... as opposed to pupils who are attending public schools, where they get education for free."

....any additional comments needed?

Until now, the government has been covering up to 85% of the private schools' expenses in Slovenia (most of them owned by the Catholic Church.... go figure), yet school-fee was still required to pay to attend such schools (like 40/month!). The Opposition as well as MOST of the Slovene people urged the government to withdraw from the plan, but no one gave a damn. Even though it's a fact that Slovenia has a rather huge debt it has to repay (around 30 billion), the government still didn't want to give in. Instead, it has stated that the Opposition "doesn't care about the education of our children" and that its acts are "silly and thoughtless, and bring shame to the country which is a member of the EU (..)". However, the irony of the first statement is that some days later, the government decided not to finance this year's national examination of the Slovene language...

Well anyway, just vote and explain your decision here. I seriously want to know what the world thinks of this (in my opinion, retarded) law.

--------------------
IPB Image

JollyRoger
  Post#2 | Oct 3 2007, 02:20 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

He who pays the bills, calls the shots. Government financing of private schools means that the government has bought the right to set curriculum an policy. So this means that these schools have ceased to be "Private." They are now public despite the name and/or reputation.

Government funding of some things can be very good. Other things can be very bad. Such as education. In my country the cost of education is absolutely freaking ridiculous. Unlike technology which is depends on the market and prices continue to drop. So if the Department of Education should disappear one day I won't shed tear. I think state and local departments could run education far better than the federal government. At least then organizations like the Teachers and Faculty Association won't have to scrape by like they do.

--------------------

Dragunov
  Post#3 | Oct 3 2007, 05:45 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with your mom
Member No.: 1,539

Ridiculous inflation and average monthly pay well under 1000 euros? Are you sure you don't live in Hungary?

In my opinion, private schools should stay like that. I mean if you're so wealthy you want your children to take private education, then you can fork out the expenses.

Anyways, welcome to eastern europe mate. Governments don't give a damn about their people, they put tax and charges on whatever they can(dunno about you but its getting really ridiculous here) and they try to keep you alive as cost effective as they can so the parliment can buy the newest luxury lemouzines for their politists every year.

Still, i love my country. If we just had a half decent government already. I'm not the kinda guy who doesnt want to pay taxes, i'm the one that supports decent descisions and lives by the law.

This post has been edited by Dragunov: Oct 3 2007, 05:49

--------------------
IPB Image

"And you know she's really japanese because her genitals produce a force field that pixelates the air around them"

DeWolfe
  Post#4 | Oct 3 2007, 19:03 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Games In Sig
Member No.: 33

QUOTE(Dragunov @ Oct 3 2007, 06:45 ) *

[color=#FF0000]they put tax and charges on whatever they can[color]

Its not just Britain then?

--------------------
IPB Image

Dragunov
  Post#5 | Oct 4 2007, 06:07 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with your mom
Member No.: 1,539

QUOTE(DeWolfe @ Oct 3 2007, 19:03 ) *

Its not just Britain then?

Nope.

--------------------
IPB Image

"And you know she's really japanese because her genitals produce a force field that pixelates the air around them"

j-dawg
  Post#6 | Oct 5 2007, 03:48 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with my fat rolls teehee
Weapon: Paintball gun
Member No.: 40

Incentivizing schools to do well (and punishing them for doing badly) is what the US gov't tried to do with No Child Left Behind and it has proven itself ineffective. Privatizing the education system would be no good: first of all, it would overload the private school system, and second, it would not bring any improvement in schools. When it comes to education, the old free-market mantra of competition-breeds-excellence does not apply. The only way--the ONLY way--to fix the school system is to invest in reform. Private schools will not effectively handle all education, and public schools cannot continue using the same bureaucratic, budget-oriented policies that have failed students for decades.

--------------------
IPB Image

Ribon
  Post#7 | Oct 8 2007, 21:37 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Transport Tycoon Deluxe
Weapon: Water Bomb
Member No.: 249

Wow, not one single "yes" vote. I'm impressed... and also disgraced at how stupid our government is.

Thanks all for your opinions. smile.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: