Post#1 | Sep 30 2010, 15:23 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

Here's an interesting question:

The Setup: Lets say that you decided to make your morning walk interesting (And for the sake of the poll this is something you do regularly). So you plot out a course of no more than 1.5 Kilometers where there is a consistently high concentration of people. Now, assuming you are in any kind of shape to do this and have a reasonable amount of energy to do it, you walk this course every day the same way up to three times. You do not deviate from the course at all and walk it the same direction. And you do this up to three times a day.

The Question: How many days do you think it would take for people who frequent your route to catch onto what you were doing?

--------------------

Laurell
  Post#2 | Sep 30 2010, 16:17 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Minecraft
Weapon: Spear
Member No.: 8,351

Well, it would take one day for one person to understand that he is walking.

More detailed knowledge, would naturally take more time.

Also, I think that most persons will know what you are doing, before they think about it. And a very small ammount would in some way, spread the information to a 3rd party.

And I doubt, you would ever know for sure, if they know or not.

--------------------
"meh"

Chaos-Energy
  Post#3 | Sep 30 2010, 18:10 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Too much
Weapon: Pistol
Member No.: 404

More than five days. Unless you do something to attract attention like wear a clown costume, people won't notice one guy taking a walk through a crowd. Maybe after a few weeks someone with the same routine will probably notice that you walk there every day. It's like my dad going to work. He used to drive for about an hour to work and every morning he would see the same cars, at the same time and at the same place but stuff like that usually doesn't happen in a few days.

IKHAM
  Post#4 | Sep 30 2010, 18:46 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Gears of War
Weapon: Uzi
Member No.: 2

It's an interesting thought. It would really depend on the scenario and also what "catching on" is defined as.

If I passed a bloke nearly every day on the way to work, i'd probably just think he was on his way to work. I might start saying hello to him or noticing him, but I wouldn't think he was doing anything other than his usual daily routine. So in this instance, probably never.

If I was working in a burger van and I saw the same man pass every day at the same time, 3 times a day, I may start to "take interest". But i'd probably conclude that he was a bit OCD or something. If "taking interest" is what you mean by "catching on", then this could happen.

It would probably take 3 times to pass someone before they really began to notice you. But that first person to notice you might not pass you on day one. They might start passing you on day 15. So in this context, at very earliest, 3 days, but more likely over 5.

If "catching on" is defined as "working out" what you are doing. Then I would say never. Because nobody is ever going to think "hey there is that guy again. I guess he's walking this same route, 3 times a day, every day just to see if anyone notices him".

--------------------

Please help me get George the Gorilla to the Jungle >> Let's get George back to the Jungle

Mister V
  Post#5 | Oct 1 2010, 21:19 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

Size of the populace is what's the most important. You're walking through a small village? Sure, everyone would notice soon enough. I expect questions being asked (not to you) within 3-5 days. Someone could even approach and ask you directly, if you're walking casually, not hurrying. In a city? Not a chance anyone would notice or care, even if they did.

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

JollyRoger
  Post#6 | Oct 2 2010, 21:49 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

Lets say this was a part of town set up much like a University campus. And what I mean by "catch on" is the awareness of a pattern or consistent regularity.

--------------------

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: