boncho88
  Post#1 | Feb 10 2013, 10:11 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Weapon: Unarmed
Member No.: 12,599

Dear GTA players,

My name is Hristo Petev and I am a student in Malmo University, Sweden. I am contacting you in a question regarding my master thesis.

The topic of my master thesis is "Procedural mission generation for Grand Theft Auto". I will create a software tool that will generate GTA missions based on players' preferences. In order to create quality missions, I need to know what players like. For this purpose, I have created an online survey. You can see the questionnaire on my personal website: http://petev.net/gta/ .

Would you like to help me by answering the questionnaire? In return of your favor I will provide everyone that completes the questionnaire with a set of mission generated during the work on my master thesis.

If you have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me at hgpetev@gmail.com

Your sincerely,
Hristo Georgiev Petev
Malmo University Master Student in Computer Science
http://petev.net

JollyRoger
  Post#2 | Feb 11 2013, 01:15 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mega Man 3
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

I'd prefer to answer here. And if you look back at any of the wish list threads you'll find out a lot of what our members have desired from Rockstar over the years. I will highlight a few things that I have always liked from GTAs and a few things that I see Rockstar routinely missing in each iteration.

1. I hate threading the needle. The airplane chase missions in San Andreas come to mind.

2. I hate timed missions. Timed missions that are good are few and far between. About a 1-5 ratio of good to bad.

3. I hate missions that only be completed one way. GTA is not a rail shooter. The missions that require it are written to use it. Vice City has been by far the freest in terms of letting players strategize and try new ways to finish a mission. I hate having to take a path forced on me by uncreative mission writers.

4. I like shootout missions. I like them better when LEOs keep their noses out of them, or treat each shooter equally instead of everyone attacking me.

5. I hate chase-ems. Though let me be clear I don't hate them all. The ones I don't like involve vehicles or NPCs that have to arrive intact to a destination.

6. I like missions with steps. The Bank Robbery mission from Vice City always stands out in my mind.

7. I like replayabliity. If I have finished the story missions I want to have a reason to start over and not start playing another game. If I am going to invest my time in a game I don't want to mindlessly churn through dozens of unforgettable missions, or beat my head against annoying side missions until I finish them. There need to be things in between. And missions to unlock them.

--------------------

boncho88
  Post#3 | Feb 11 2013, 11:57 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I also consider that GTA has become too narrated and the free nature of the game has vanished. I will browse around the forum for more interesting stuff as you suggest.

boncho88
  Post#4 | Mar 21 2013, 18:40 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Dear GTA players ,

Thank you for the participation in the survey regarding GTA missions.

It is my pleasure to notify you that the project is going on schedule and it is entering in its final stage of development. According to the time schedule, you will be provided with the mission pack around 16th of April 2013.

If you have any questions regarding the project, please do not hesitate to ask them.

Best Regards,
Hristo Petev
Master Student in Computer Science
at Malmo University, Sweden

2 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: