Mister V
  Post#1 | Apr 2 2007, 10:10 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

I'm thinking about selling the one I have right now because its Mobility Radeon M10 (which is the 9600) is really quite old, and there have been no new drivers for it since 2003, so it obviously causes problems.
My laptop has a regular PentiumIV at 3GHz with HT, 512Mb RAM, the Mobility Radeon 9600, lots of other stuff I don't use like Wi-Fi, Infrared, memory card reader, etc, and a regular DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo.

Does anyone have an idea what new laptop should I get? What maker, etc.?
What I need is a nice gfx card on it, otherwise it'd be useless. Oh and the price...not too expensive either...

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

j-dawg
  Post#2 | Apr 3 2007, 00:12 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with my fat rolls teehee
Weapon: Paintball gun
Member No.: 40

Personally, I recommend the IBM Thinkpad series, but they're very love-it-or-hate-it--some, like me, swear by them and others swear at them, but I've never heard of people just going "meh" to a Thinkpad. In my opinion, they're strong and dependable, but they are quite expensive. Since I don't use mine for gaming I was able to get it used for cheap, but if you want to play games you may consider another brand.

--------------------
IPB Image

Nico
  Post#3 | Apr 3 2007, 10:22 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

THE REVIVALATOR
Member No.: 18

Well I'd say MacBook Pro but you won't go for that tongue.gif

In a magazine I saw an ad for an Acer laptop, it had Core 2 Duo and a 7600GT card I believe and it was a very good price... so you might want to consider Acer.

--------------------
TNENIMMI SI LAVIVER UG
Nico's the name, bumping's the game

JollyRoger
  Post#4 | Apr 3 2007, 15:34 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Nico @ Apr 3 2007, 05:22 ) *

Well I'd say MacBook Pro but you won't go for that tongue.gif

In a magazine I saw an ad for an Acer laptop, it had Core 2 Duo and a 7600GT card I believe and it was a very good price... so you might want to consider Acer.

I'd second that. But again I'd cite Nico's reasons why you'd proabably decide against it. You're most likley looking for a value gaming laptop that will play PC titles.

I'd reccomend against a Dell. They've had battery issues of late and you want a machine with reliable power, that won't catch fire in your lap. If it were two years ago I'd be reccomending Vaios, but lately IBMs and Toshibas have narrowed the margin substantially over the last year and a half. Sony puts out a good machine but you have many other options now.

I've been using a 2001 G3 700mhz iBook for the last year and a half. Great and reliable machine. Not for gaming much. I only have Neverwinter Nights on it and it really gets the fan going. I mostly use it for internet and writing. For gaming I still use a desktop. Before my iBook I used a Powerbook 5300 series. And before that a PB145. Writing only. To slow for internet. In the next two years I'll be looking to upgrade to a brawnier machine. The first thing I'm going to want to know is my parts. What do I want out of it is my primary concern. My next laptop will be a gaming machine so I'm going to want a lightning fast CPU, a good GFX card and a **** load of Ram. I'll worry about internet later. But you're proabably going to want a good wireless card. So look into that as well. Many machines come with one stock, but if you don't get one of those or want a better one be looking into that too.

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#5 | Apr 3 2007, 18:36 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Yeah, exactly, "value gaming laptop" is the word.

Vaios are nice, but way too expensive. Acer...yeah, I'd love to get one of their Ferraris, but I;m sure the prices are skyhigh...gonna think about it, do some research. Thanks for the advice, everybody smile.gif

This post has been edited by Mister V: Apr 3 2007, 18:38

--------------------
IPB Image

DeWolfe
  Post#6 | Apr 3 2007, 18:48 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Games In Sig
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 33

Ive got an Acer TravelMate 4060. It isnt the best but it does what I want it to do (internet, word etc). It wasnt too expensive either. Ive got SimCity4000 with it but that was slow until I removed GTA, Secondlife and a few others. Now it runs smoothly.

--------------------
IPB Image

Mister V
  Post#7 | Apr 3 2007, 18:52 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Ok, thanks, I'm starting another thread though, a more general one, in this same forum.

--------------------
IPB Image

j-dawg
  Post#8 | Apr 4 2007, 03:35 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: with my fat rolls teehee
Weapon: Paintball gun
Member No.: 40

QUOTE(Mister V @ Apr 3 2007, 13:36 ) *

Yeah, exactly, "value gaming laptop" is the word.

Vaios are nice, but way too expensive. Acer...yeah, I'd love to get one of their Ferraris, but I;m sure the prices are skyhigh...gonna think about it, do some research. Thanks for the advice, everybody smile.gif

Acer Ferrari is one thing, but Acer sells a lot of lower-end cheaper (and pretty unreliable, from what I've heard) laptops as well. The Ferrari-branded laptops are a halo product to draw people to the cheaper laptops.

--------------------
IPB Image

GTABoy2
  Post#9 | May 16 2019, 07:35 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Weapon: Unarmed
Member No.: 28,253

Hi there. Did you end up finding a good gaming laptop? If not, here are a whole bunch of them:
https://www.kyleshardware.com/best-gaming-laptop-under-800/

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: