JollyRoger
  Post#1 | Jul 1 2007, 09:01 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

Though many of you might consider it old hack by now I am fairly excited about it. Just got in the mail yesterday. The first thing that stood out for me was the intro. It was close to what is in the movie. Only shortened. As are many of the cutscenes. But still very close.

Gameplay takes a little while to get used. Particularly for someone who hasn't played console games with any consistancy for more than fifteen years. But I've gotten the hang of it. It has a lot similarities with a RTS in that you contol a group of players in story mode and apart from it. It also has some adventure game qualities with the generation of cash. And of course it has elements of fighting game. But that's fairly obvious.

I do take issue with the language. Since SA I've had the feeling RS has fired some of their better writers and replaced them with a cursing old woman. As I said before with SA, explitives do not replace dialogue or move the story. Actual dialog does. Explitives are modifiers. The make the dialogue more interesting. When it makes up the body of the dialogue it gets old quickly.

Despite this I give this game a thumbsup.gif

--------------------

DeWolfe
  Post#2 | Jul 1 2007, 15:26 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Games In Sig
Member No.: 33

Id never heard of this game until I saw it last Wednesday in the shop, well the PSP version anyway. I didnt buy it though because Im never going to get around to playing it. I didnt realise it was by R* until I turned it over.

--------------------
IPB Image

jon83
  Post#3 | Jul 3 2007, 14:01 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Weapon: Sword
Member No.: 42

Nice review Jr. I've been wanting to play the game for some time now. I might import a copy soon.

JollyRoger
  Post#4 | Jul 25 2007, 08:42 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Well a bit of an update on this game seems warranted. I've just finished The Warriors and I have to say that many things impressed me about it. First of all I enjoyed the depth of the backstory that the movie never really got into. Even in the deleted scenes. I don't know how closely it follows the original script or the book that it was based on. I haven't read either. But what I do know is how Rockstar used it's creative license to really flesh out the primary and secondary personalities that make up the nine delegates chosen prior to the beginning of the movie. To sweeten the deal even more, the backstory comes in two tiers. One branch follows the events that happen in the 90 days before the meeting organized by the Grammercy Riffs. Another tier explores the origins of The Warriors and their rise to power in Coney Island.

In contrast the actual movie missions were far fewer and less elaborate. In a way I can understand the logistics of coming up with extra content to fill in the spaces between scenes in the movie story. However, many of these missions are by far some of the most spectacular and challenging in the game. Considering that basing a game on a movie only allows for so much flexibility, Rockstar did a fairly decent job. With creative license that is. It should be noted that all the prior missions serve as sort of a training for later combat. It's unfortunate that that later combat is so short lived.

Cutscenes are one of Rockstar's strong points. Regardless of the title the Rockstar team can really put together a good story enhancing cutscene. Which it should come as no surprise that cutsecens based on actual movie sequences have rendered some really enjoyable content. Especially for those who are longtime fans of the movie, as myself. Most are captured verbatim and really show what Rockstar can do, and what justice The Warriors does for the game engine and the Playstation 2 system.

In addition to the virtual prequal told on the flashback and back story mission, as well as the movie story missions, there are a set of side missions that take place in the streets of Coney Island. These side missions would become available after each story mission was completed. Much in the spirit of the Grand Theft Auto series, wherein a player can unlock content or gain bonuses, the Coney Island missions offer the player a chance to gain upgrades which prove to be very valuable in combat. I would point out that I would have liked more CI missions and a wider area for them to have been set. It seems as though Rockstar focused these missions almost exclusively for their upgrade utility.

For players that missed unlocking content on the first go-around can have the opportunity to try again later as a feature of The Warrior's HQ allows for replaying of missions already completed. Also in the HQ is a rumble mode that allows a player to pummel the least favorite gangs to his/her heart's content. Other features include a workout area and access to flashback missions. Unfortunately The Warrior's HQ becomes unavailable after the movie missions have started, and doesn't return until after the main story is completed. It's important to pay attention to the time and setting cues that flash before each mission. One can lose track of what is happening when, and if a player has yet to complete all the upgrade and workouts the movie mission tree could prove to be frustrating.

I give this game a thumbsup.gif

--------------------

Zedio
  Post#5 | Aug 1 2007, 16:02 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Let's Wait in Line
Weapon: Pointed Stick
Member No.: 4,285

Ya nice review. I beat the game about 10 times already and ive unlocked the "unleash the fury" mode. Fun game. Challenging at some parts.

P.S. Wasnt there a topic about his game already? "Please do search the forums."

This post has been edited by Zedio: Aug 1 2007, 16:04

--------------------

JollyRoger
  Post#6 | Aug 1 2007, 18:13 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(Zedio @ Aug 1 2007, 11:02 ) *

Ya nice review. I beat the game about 10 times already and ive unlocked the "unleash the fury" mode. Fun game. Challenging at some parts.

P.S. Wasnt there a topic about his game already? "Please do search the forums."

I thought I did. Someone could double check for me though.

I'm nearing my second time through. This time on a harder skill level. I plan on finishing it on all three skill levels and then play exclusively on the hardest after that. The best strategy I can think of is play the rumble mode a lot between stages and always do the exercise and Coney missions to unlock power-ups. Mastering stealth is also handy. Especially for the Turnbull ACs turf.

--------------------

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: