JollyRoger
  Post#1 | May 28 2010, 05:08 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

I am a bit of foodie. I have aspirations of becoming a chef for crying out loud. I take the subject of flavor a little more seriously that the average gent. I happen to know there is some serious flavor out there and it's not hard to find. But it appears we have become so desensitized to stimuli in our daily lives that sour is no longer sour, bitter is no longer bitter, salty is no longer salty and yes of course sweet is no longer sweet. Men and women, whom I suspect have trouble being satisfied with any part of their lives, have turned to science to bring them enhanced versions of flavors that average gourmands already have a healthy respect for.

The Six-Million Dollar Tongues

Thanks a lot 1960's, Extreme Sports, Macho Man Randy Savage and Frito ******* Lay! mad.gif

--------------------

Mister V
  Post#2 | May 29 2010, 10:45 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Mass Effect
Weapon: Submarine
Member No.: 21

They have these flavour-changing pastilles now, from miracle berry extract (yes, it really is called like that). Gulp one down, and your lemon will taste hyper-sweet. It was in the newspapers a couple of days ago.

It might serve to desensitize people; I, however, think that a natural product has a lot more than just taste. Besides, natural products have more and more prestige, and I'm sure the trend will continue. I'm sure science is able to replicate the taste of a twenty-year-old Chateau Lafite, but would anyone want that? No, definitely not. Those particular products simply aren't threatened by substitutes.

And it's not only about upper-tier products -take the mango they mentioned. Every natural mango tastes differently (and may in some cases be really bland), but it also has the smell, then the taste of its outer skin, and finally, the sensation you get from eating it (which can range from chewing a rock to feeling it melt on your tongue like honey).
Ultimately, who cares if chips are getting hotter and hotter? It's not like the natural ones are going to disappear off the shelves, or they will replace real chili. Trouble is that the general population may not enjoy the finer aspects of natural flavours, but since when was the general population wise and well-informed?

On a not completely related note, I love their customer analysis:
The Doritos consumer likes action-packed video games and late-night partying and wants that extreme experience to translate to the chips as well.

Sounds so primitive, yet so true tongue.gif

--------------------
IPB Image
Then God said, "Let there be win",
and there was win, and it was good.

JollyRoger
  Post#3 | May 29 2010, 19:15 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Like You Care
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

QUOTE(Mister V @ May 29 2010, 05:45 ) *

Sounds so primitive, yet so true tongue.gif

Oh let me guess, these are the same guys with the hair standing straight up jumping over buildings on skate boards after fighting aliens with a laser gun disguised as an iPod. A minute later they're blasting power chords on their glowing six-strings screaming "YEEEEEAAAAAEEEEEEAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA" with magically built-in echo, reverb and kicking bass. And I assume these are same kind of guys that can be, at the same time a completely self-centered reckless sociopathic ass***** pr!ck, and a sympathetic main protagonist of a children's action cartoon that flies around on a talking robot turtle that cracks one-liners. It's no wonder hundreds of thousands of young women enter into relationships with complete douchebags every day. They never had a chance with the "Heroes" they've grown up watching because writers are under the mistaken impression that these guys can magically change their pattern of behavior, and actually want to, if a plot device is introduced to alter their course. This is complete and utter stupidity because arrogant jerk-offs love to "Ha Ha Ha" too much and their flying turtles throw out too many damn one-liners. So by all means, pack on the super flavor. I think we all need to be amped up Jacka**es with laser iPods and glowing guitars, who fly around on talking turtles and behave like we have a fist-sized crack rock crammed up our corn holes. YEEEEEAAAAAEEEEEEAAAAAAEEEEEEEEEAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! The evil space aliens should be the good guys if this is the case.

Seriously though, I don't need extreme flavors from my Dorito chips in my sandwiches. I don't want some snack food giant's chemistry experiment throwing off the flavor of my alpine lace swiss and honey cured ham. I don't rely on a cartoon doodle telling me what to eat. Doritos have sold consistently for decades now. In the last ten years though they have adopted the notion that a flashy bag makes their chips taste better. I can tell you right now that no amount of flavor dust is going to improve the taste of Doritos. A bag from 1986 tastes no different from a bag from the 6th of this month. I do enjoy the occasional bag of Doritos but they don't make up a regular part of my diet. I prefer to eat healthier. And please forgive me. I have had a long running grudge against the snack food industry and their advertising since the early 90s. Cinnaburst chewing gum was introduced with an advertising campaign that irritated me to no end. They had released something they called "Flavor Crystals" that were supposed to enhance the taste of the chewing gum. The young people they featured in the commercials seemed like they were all on crystal meth and had live cattle prods inserted into their brown eyes. A lot of faith I have lost in my fellow man can be traced back to this ad campaign. I am really tired of these people trying to profile their consumers like an FBI agent trained exclusively on caricatured stereotypes.

I do not welcome this trend of super flavor. tank.gif

--------------------

jhonsadins
  Post#4 | Jul 1 2010, 11:34 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page

Unregistered

Dr Pepper Snapple recent fruit punch and mango flavors line of energy drinks Venom. Wrigley's Orbit gum roll tropical flavors such as mint and mango melon Maui surf.

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: