>  Gta5 Expectations

Alisbet
  Post#1 | Mar 23 2012, 21:55 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM
Increase this members Kudos

Weapon: Flower
Member No.: 11,846

When the GTA5 comes out, what do you expect this game will contain? What missions and what characters it will have for example.

--------------------
Power of People is Stronger than People in Power.

JollyRoger
  Post#2 | Mar 25 2012, 19:32 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Weapon: M-16
Member No.: 104

I tend to have expectations that run contrary or otherwise far removed from more popular suggestions/desires expressed by others. And not just on this site. I really don't have much desire to see GTA emulate any other games or their features as most seem insistent on. I don't regard what has been done by other developers so much as precedent but rather as . . . "interesting I suppose." Games that lean too heavily on the former philosophy usually end up like the Saints Row series. Not bad in it's own right, but its not GTA. Contrary to a reviewer's comment Saints Row does not "Out-GTA, GTA." GTA is its own creature. . . for the most part. When it stays true to itself. GTAIV had the problem because it tried to out-serious other developer's games. Saints Row however felt content to masturbate in a dark corner to sport bike advertising while eating fistfuls of candy. Fine, I guess. But it doesn't produce a game I'd actually want to play. 'A' for effort in GTAIV's case but it was more of Dan Houser's sourpuss melancholy opus rather that an over-the-top sarcastic satire that made the GTAIII era such a standout. The GTAIV era produced exactly 1.5 enjoyable experiences. The Lost and Damned and Chinatown Wars. CW being the 1. Johhny Klebitz and the structure of the TLoD effort being it's strong points, TLoD loses critical points for character/location rigidness, piecemeal new content, and a main character, very interesting on one hand, but was about as refreshing as a case of stomach flu. And he was the most likable out of the three protagonists in the 3D console/pc translations. Major points go to Huang Lee as a main character, and the Chinatown Wars story which blew all other GTAIV content out of the water. Sometimes when you don't overwork your character or game you come out with a better result. And that is what GTA needs to be. Better.

Dan Houser needs to get out of his dreary funk, because I'm tired of playing GTA as a dreary funk. This is one of the reasons I was looking forward to a return to Vice City. Because I wanted to play GTA without feeling like I was slipping into a depression. The last outing to San Andreas wasn't GTAIV depressing, but it was starting down that road. My message to Dan Houser is that he doesn't need to slink off to a dark corner to masturbate to motorcycle advertising while eating fistfuls of candy, but he does need to LIGHTEN THE F**K UP! You're turning into an Un-Fun George Lucas. How about some visuals that don't feel and look like they're covered in a layer of crystalized cat piss. Or a protagonist that seems like he escaped from a Darren Aronofsky movie. Bleak can be mistaken for boring. And yes, that's a bad thing. The radio stations better be pretty F'ing hilarious. I'm just saying.

My 2-Cents. For a more specific idea of what I've expected from GTAs past, browse all the wish list threads. I have more advanced expectations anymore. I'll post them later.

--------------------
IPB Image

renaldaz123
  Post#3 | Aug 4 2012, 18:51 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: GTA San andreas
Weapon: Unarmed
Member No.: 12,299

Hope its in the whole of San Andreas not just in Los Santos smile.gif

Vin
  Post#4 | Aug 9 2012, 19:02 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Nothing at the moment
Forum Idiot
Member No.: 5

Renaldaz,

I read an article around the time GTA5 was announced and it said something about Los Santos being the only City in the game but it will be huge and there will be lots of country side. Gta V will be (apparently) larger than San Andreas.

---------

What I expect from GTA 5 is a non sh*tty PC port. Hopefully a little sooner this time.

eddaket
  Post#5 | Aug 14 2012, 16:54 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Minecraft
Bashful
Member No.: 16

I am just hoping the game has a lot of replayability. I didn't get that into GTA 4, so it was kind of a let down for me. Hell, I don't even own it, I borrowed it from a friend to beat it. Maybe I should borrow it again and play the two expansions since I've heard good things about them (or at least LaD).

Vin
  Post#6 | Aug 17 2012, 16:10 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Nothing at the moment
Forum Idiot
Member No.: 5

The stand alone games are great. Good story. It's pretty cheap now so you can have a shot at playing it. Ballad of gay tony was fun.

JollyRoger
  Post#7 | Oct 7 2012, 20:06 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Ballad was better than Lost in only one respect. It was cheerier. It's not a tremendous difference but a good enough one. Also it has the AA12 shotgun. GTA IV and it's episodes did well to interpret late fall/ early winter weather effects. And the time of year was an important part of the story. The color palette was a little to well distributed. Like most other GTAs IV didn't let the player explore the interiors of some of the brighter and funner look establishments. I hope that doesn't carry over into V where the ratio is still 20-1 for dreary warehouses and cool buildings. How challenging and fun is really to render rat toilet room no. 3004? I don't imagine very much. For realism and believability rat toilet rooms no. 1 through 2205 need to be designed and rendered. But we don't need an additional 400 rat toilet rooms that nothing is done in and hides no hidden objects or triggers. I got enough rat toilet rooms in GTAIII and San Andreas. I was not happy to see it carry over into IV.

--------------------
IPB Image

GtaReborn
  Post#8 | Nov 20 2012, 02:18 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: Halo 4, Team Fortress 2
Weapon: Unarmed
Member No.: 12,475

So, to sum up Jolly, what are you exactly complaining about GTA IV? I don't see anything wrong with Niko Bellic. It's a cool anti-hero.

As for the topic, I have no expectactions for GTA V, other than being a Gta San Andreas 2.0 (pretty obvious) with a bit touch of GTA IV and the episodic contents (3 main characters storyline). Oh, i almost forgot. This time, no bugs, no innecesary lag, and errors for PC port please! That was an enormous pain in the ass, still to this days; you need a hell of a computer to play Grand Theft Auto IV properly (Max Graphics with vert. sync activated and 1920 x 1080 res.)

Vin, i heard it is bigger than Liberty City (GTA IV) and San Andreas combined.

I have an idea to make this site a little more active. Since people are most of the day in Facebook and/or Twitter, we could make some links to tie pages or something

This post has been edited by GtaReborn: Nov 20 2012, 02:35

-=[The_Funto]=-
  Post#9 | Nov 22 2012, 02:03 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

Playing: DoDonpachi DAI-OU-JOU
Weapon: Flower
Member No.: 62

better physics than GTA IV, gore (as on GTA III, where you could rip arms and legs) and no online achievements with ridiculous requirements
online achievements were glitched on GTA IV by the way, I wasted my time winning over 100 online races and didn't unlock the achievement.

also, it would be nice to have a checklist so we can keep track of whatever we are trying to do
it sucks when you have 199 out of 200 collectibles and don't know which one you missed

This post has been edited by -=[The_Funto]=-: Nov 22 2012, 02:14

--------------------
IPB Image

JollyRoger
  Post#10 | Nov 30 2012, 08:58 + Quote Post Go to the top of the page
Mini Profile
PM

QUOTE(GtaReborn @ Nov 19 2012, 20:18 ) *

So, to sum up Jolly, what are you exactly complaining about GTA IV? I don't see anything wrong with Niko Bellic. It's a cool anti-hero.

My main complaint is that Rockstar lined up three dreary and gritty characters that made gameplay a little sluggish. One sourpuss is fine, but three humorless protagonists just isn't enough variety. Niko did have a few funny lines, but he was hardly a breath of fresh air. I get it. Liberty City is supposed to be dark and gritty. But even Gay Tony, which could have been bright and fun, had Luis Lopez as it's protagonist. He was even less cheery than Johhny Klebitz.

This is why I really wanted to see GTA return to Vice City. I pretty well knew if it was San Andreas again Houser would have rolled out another killjoy like CJ. Claude "Silent Guy" was a sunnier gent and he didn't talk. GTA did well Tommy Vercetti, Tony Cipriani and Vic Vance. After looking at the trailer for GTAV I'm not optimistic. What looks like the lead protagonist might have some potential, but the other two don't appear to be more than ancillary characters upgraded to playable status. It's too early to say. But the old crazy guy seems like Rockstar kidnapped him from the trailer park from Postal 2, and the young guy seems to be as complicated as a sheet of paper.

I can understand why Rockstar decided on Los Santos. San Andreas had more mainstream appeal than Vice City, and fans seemed to respond very well to the contemporary setting of GTAIV's Liberty City. It makes money sense to continue that in GTAV. It seems reasonable that Rockstar would want to hold off on a return to Vice City as long as possible to work out the logistics of marketing the 1980s again to a younger group of fans. It's great that it worked out before. But estimating that the same novelty lightning can be caught in the same bottle twice in the same way is not a good strategy. Longtime fans will expect that GTAVI will be a return to the 1980s. Rockstar, IMHO, is buying time to do it right. And I don't blame them. Even for trailblazers taking risks is a high priced gamble. I can hear the moaning now from fans who would want smart phones, internet and LMFAO in GTAVI.

Don't get me wrong. I did like Niko. But after Niko I didn't care for the characters getting progressively more and more dreary. There is a way of writing characters that are tough as well as interesting. Klebitz was plenty tough but not nearly as interesting as he could have been. Luis Lopez was tough-ish, but about as interesting as my sock drawer. Which contains only socks. I do like Dan Houser's work. He and Rockstar games have made the gaming industry what it is today for most practical purposes. I will admit that he can write game stories pretty well. But he has his limitations. Most game designers are not good writers. Some jobs you need actual writers for. I don't really think that Houser writes everything. But you can't build a writing team in-house. A look at Rockstar's Jobs section reveals a preference for writing . . . code. I will say that graphic artists and programmers can and often do have some experience in writing. I know the Art Institutes of America have a gaming program that includes English classes. Yet, there is a difference between knowing how to write, and being a good writer. It takes an extra creative spark that can't be taught in the classroom. It may be that Rockstar actually hires people solely for their writing skills. I really don't know that much about their creative teams. But if it's a matter of the various graphic and programming teams helping Houser flesh out his vision than one can only expect so much. Granted creative people aren't always one-trick-ponies, but many of them are. I would not expect a room full of Jacks-of-all-trades or renaissance men. I would expect Houser getting a lot of uncreative feedback if this is indeed the case.

In the old days it was a lot simpler. Houser could do a lot of this stuff himself. But as the games have gotten bigger and the stories longer it has stretched the creative forces at Houser's disposal very thin. I can appreciate the time off from GTAIV to plan out V. Time allows a lower performance car to cover the same distance as a higher performance car can in less. But at the end of the race you still have a lower performance vehicle. I'm not calling for a rushed job by any means. But I would like to know if Rockstar has writers that don't have the first clue about 3DS Max, Maya or even Photoshop. If it doesn't maybe it can streamline the creative process a bit and produce characters and stories with more variety if they had writers with creative punch.

I don't know if I answered your question or just wasted your time. But this has been what's bugging me. The facebook idea is pretty good. I will take it up with the powers that be.

--------------------
IPB Image

1 User(s) are reading this topic:

Reply to this topicStart new topic

- Choose Skin: